Searching...

Optus EPL Sport App support for Xbox, PS4, ChromeCast and Smart Tvs

samvee1

Hi, just seeing if there is any update to the older posts on here regarding the Optus Sport EPL App and using it on devices like Smart TVs, Xbox One, PS4 and ChromeCasts.

It seems really nuts to me that Optus would launch this App and wait until the season has started before supporting any of the above. Do they not want people to sign up? 

I realise they want to force people to pay extra for a Fetch Mini thingy but I'm not doing that just for one sport and I also don't want to give up the physical space around my TV/powerboards to yet another device.

They can say all they like about Foxtel forcing you to pay for a set top box and subscription but given how easy it would be to make this App work on a lot more devices it's clearly a money grab to try and force us into paying for a set top box. Which is pretty poor in my opinion considering they should be doing as much as possible to win people over who are already peeved they have to switch to an Optus service or upgrade their existing plans

Re: Optus EPL Sport App support for Xbox, PS4, ChromeCast and Smart Tvs

Tris

Thanks very much for posting samvee1. I can understand why you'd be given this impression, I do really need to point out, it's not the case though. As I'm sure you can appreciate getting apps running consistently on multiple platforms is a huge undertaking. As we want to ensure the experience is amazing via which ever access method you chose we do want to ensure everything is working as it should before it's made available. We have focused on our Yes TV by Fetch platform so we have loads of flexibility in regards of testing etc and Apple TV as our research has has shown it's used by both may of our existing customers and potential users. Rest assured we are working hard to develop access via the other methods you'd mentioned and will have them available as soon as possible. Worth pointing out that the Yes TV by Fetch mini is available on a month to month basis and only $5 per month, it does also offer other content that you can access which you may find you like. Currently you can also access Optus Sport via our Optus Sport portal so there's also the opportunity to connect your desktop/lappy to your TV via HDMI as an interim measure.

I don't have any time frame regarding additional app/streaming support at this stage, feel free to check back with us for updates though. Thanks for your patience and understanding

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

yppahton

Add me as another request for PS4 support. I don't fancy shelling out for yet another box just to watch this.

Highlighted

Nghi

Thanks yppahton, we're collating suggestions and passing them onto our EPL project team.

[ Edited ]
GilP

Add me in for Chromecast and/or PS4 support for the app please!

samvee1

Hi Again Optus,

So today I tried connecting my iPad to my TV via a HDMI cable and official Apple adaptor. Everything else on there works and streams video to the TV. Lo and behold the Optus Sport app streams video for about one to two seconds, then drops out and only streams Audio. If you have video already playing on the iPad, then connect the HDMI cable, the video lasts for up to 5 seconds on the TV, then drops and leaves only Audio.

At a guess - Optus have disabled video streaming this way in their app to make you buy their Fetch TV. Can anyone else (or Optus) confirm they can get the app to stream video from an iPad to a TV via HDMI? Read online that Foxtel Go previously did something similar to deliberately stop paying customers from viewing the app on their TV

Tris

Hi samvee1 Optus Sport has compatibility requirements that we've confirmed publicly. Apps have been created  for iOS and Androld devices specifically, anything further than this would be unsupported. As pointed out earlier our build team are working on support for additional media streaming options including smart TVs. We're just unable to confirm a time frame on this. We certainly want to create a high level of flexibility with how our customers can access Optus Sport as soon as we can, however, we really need to be sure anything we make available is top notch, tested thoroughly and ready to go. I'm happy to report back on this thread as info becomes available 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

samvee1

Thanks for the reply - it wasn't so much a question on Smart TV support but rather mirroring from an iPad via HDMI. I just find it really hard to comprehend why Optus' sales model is pretty much just Foxtel lite. Why not take the opportunity to launch your services in modern formats - the world is streaming, you're an ISP so surely you have some expertise in this area?

Netflix scared Foxtel into slashing their prices because there was no setup, no hardware, they just gave you the app and let you choose how you watch. Optus seem determined to cut down and restrict everyone. Nobody wants another brick and remote they have to install at home and connect up. I can't see a new product launch that's so inflexible working in the US or UK. Instead of making it easier for us to watch you're making it harder. And I'm sorry but the excuse of 'we are working on support for other options' doesn't really fly either. You bought the rights a while back and if you were not ready to provide the service BEFORE THE SEASON STARTS then you shouldn't have done so. 

On top of the above I was told in person in an Optus store and on the online chat that I would be able to connect by iPad to my TV and watch that way. So either outright BS or Optus staff are more trusting in their own company than they should be.

What I'm getting from Optus now is the only option is to pay for a bit of hardware (presumably on a lock in contract), that will become redundant (assuming the App support doesn't get 'delayed') at some point and then just sit there doing nothing.  

If I sound cynical and like I'm venting that's 100% correct. As a UK ex-pat I still like to follow the football and for it's faults Foxtel gave me that option (along with a lot of other content). Now Optus expect me to get the friends and family round for match day and all crowd around 10 inch iPad screen to watch. Cheers for that.

Tris

As confirmed we'll have many more options available as soon as we can. I can appreciate your perspective, but I don't believe you have a realistic expectation as to how long it takes to develop an app on multiple platforms that works just as it should. We have focused on Yes TV by Fetch as it's our own platform and Apple TV as our research found this combination would suit as many customers as possible, not all but most. When you start trying to do stuff that's outside what the app is developed for (connecting your iPad via HDMI) we don't have control over the product, in this case the quality of the stream via an untested work around. We don't expect fans to sit around a mobile device, but the mobile app is for just that, a mobile experience. 

I'm very sorry you were advised what you were in store, this more than likely would of been a case that the rep assumed it would be fine. If you could confirm the store, I'll certainly pass on feedback.

Yes TV by Fetch is un-contracted so you can certainly use it as an interim option then cancel the service once your preferred streaming method is supported

samvee1

I think my only unrealistic expectation was that Optus would care about their customer service rather than their profits. 

As for how long it takes to make an App compatible with other services, well it's not like Optus is a couple of people in a basement somewhere. If Presto, Stan and numerous other streaming services can do it I don't see why a company of your size can't.

I realise this conversation isn't achieving anything so I will leave it here. And most likely cancel my Optus contract and just stream the football off a dodgy website instead.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
52 Kudos
19 Kudos
18 Kudos
16 Kudos
13 Kudos