Searching...
Highlighted

One year on with a Google Home

[ Edited ]
AlistarS

We currently live in a world were we use so much of our devices for current day to day tasks, many of us also use voice assisted gadgets for everyday admin such as cleaning, cooking and scheduling our lives.

With automation and speech assistance becoming much more popular at home with the help of Google Home, Amazon Echo & Sonos One, it’s becoming a normality to own one in your household.

I’ve had my Google Home Mini for over a year and since moving 5 months ago, I haven’t even bothered to take it out of my storage. Over a year since the release of the original Google Home with newer models like the and Google Home Mini and the Hub are you still using your device? If so what for?

Let me know below Smiley Happy

Re: One year on with a Google Home

Yeldarb

I am a bit over Google and their lack of privacy so I gave my Google home away. It was either that or a YouTube drop test video from my drone.

petergdownload

I was extremely skeptical about the Home speakers (all brands). My brief look suggested that after an initial flurry of "OK Google, what is the capital of France?" it would just sit and gather dust. In the end my wife bought me a google Home (large one) cause "I'm a geek" 

Surprisingly it has been very useful in some specific areas.

1) The speaker in the Home is decent and its very easy to play tunes in the Kitchen

2) The home can be easily configured to ID the speaker (OK Google who am I?). This works well and provides tailored responses.

3) MAJOR PLUS is the Shopping List. This is a separate free Google offering (like GMail etc.) So in the kitchen we're forever saying "OK Google add brown sugar to the shopping list" etc. Its fast accurate and really helpful come Saturday.

4) It also actually facilitates dinner time conversation with the kids. Instead of people having (and diving into) mobiles at dinner its easy to just OK Google a question every now and again. 

Peter Gillespie

Alistar

Haha, Oh now I'm sad that you just gave your Google Home away Smiley Sad I wanted to see your drop test from the drone @Yeldarb  Do you have any drone footage?

Nice to hear @petergdownload that it's even included in your family dinners! I did notice the sound quality for the standard model is very good, the mini not so much. So once you complete the shopping list does it just get sent to you via an email document?

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

petergdownload

@Alistar 

You can pull up the shopping list any time on the phone. I just swipe right on items as I get them on market day to remove them from the list.

That reminds me (no pun intended) I find I'm using the Google Calander features much more and am just adding one off and recurring entries for anything and everything (very handy for annual things like insurane renewals etc.). The calander is shared with the wife and kids so its a great way to communicate upcoming events without having to talk to them (and visa versa). Anyway the Google Home works well to set up impromptu stuff.

Peter Gillespie

Yeldarb

Ah no mate knowing my luck I would wrap the cable around the props and crash everything. Smiley LOL

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
52 Kudos
19 Kudos
18 Kudos
16 Kudos
13 Kudos