Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
jjwarns
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

New Fetch TV Box won't start up.

Hello,

I have received my second 'new' Fetch box this week and both have had an issue where after being plugged in, I enter the WiFi details and then the box hangs on the grey 'Start-up' screen and won't progress any further.

I have spent way too long on the chat app and on the phone with Support with no solution, I have tried restarting the box and the reset thing where you press the coloured buttons in order till the lights go red and nothing seems to work! I read on another thread that this could be a firmwear issue - the box said Chandler 3.12 when initially trying to start up.  Can anyone assist as it's getting really frustrating now!

Thank you! 🙂 

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Tina_YC

Re: New Fetch TV Box won't start up.

Hey @jjwarns, thanks for sharing this with us. Oh, that's odd! Since you've already tried resetting the Fetch, please send a Private Message to the official Optus Facebook page or Twitter page for further assistance. Tina. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Two boxes with the exact same issue suggest the problem is local. I'd suggest your wifi might be causing problems. Instead:

1) Set up a hotspot on your phone and use that as your 'wifi'

or

2) Plug the box direct into the modem (cabled) and try that.

In either case do a bunch of power cycles and hard resets and let the box sit for 10+ minutes each time.

It might come good.
AndS
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@jjwarnsIf after following @petergdownload 's thins to try it's still stuffed then I would head into an Optus store and ask them to try it and if it does not work ask for a working one if they have stock otherwise ask them to organise for another new one and if they say you need to call Optus then if you feel p&*d off enough then ask to speak with the manager and ask them if they were you would would they do.

Good luck.

Ian_R
New Contributor
New Contributor

This happened to me last week, I spent hours on support, mostly around connecting to the internet (which I kinda knew wasn't the problem). I got quite frustrated and left it alone for a couple of days.

Yesterday Thursday 25 Feb I was contacted by Optus and they said it was happening with other users. I tried again that night and to my surprise the box updated it's firmware and began working.... so happy days !

I have noted that this date corresponded very closely to a new payment cycle.

In my case we already had a Fetch Mini and added a Fetch Mighty so it was a second box.

Talk to someone I hate the messaging.  Messaging and Call desk folk had me doing basic connection reconfigurations three days in a row.

regards IR

0 Kudos
Sarah_YC

Hi @Ian_R,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience when looking for assistance about your Fetch issues via the Messenger. We've tagged this as feedback to relevant teams for review.

Having said that, I'm glad to hear your Fetch service is up and running now!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

AndS
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@Ian_RYou got the standard Optus QOS.

0 Kudos
jjwarns
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your reply @petergdownload . Tried all you suggested with WiFi, Mobile Hotspot and Ethernet and it's still not working. I know WiFi is fine - our other Mini box and previous Fetch Mighty box connect perfectly. The issue is definitely the box and I somehow need to force the firmware update. It's currently 3.12 Chandler.
0 Kudos
jjwarns
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your reply @Ian_R. I agree, the Chat Support is absolutely useless. Spent hours chatring trying to fix it then the app gets disconnected and then you need to go through the whole rigmarole again with another attendant who hasn't bothered to review the case history properly. Bit the same when you get passed from Support person to Support person when you call for Support, which I have done this week too. Still waiting on a call back from the issues mid-week from a 'Case Supervisor'.

This is our second box too, Mini works perfectly, our original Mighty kept glitching so this was to replace the faulty equipment. With the new box, did you have to do anything you end to get the new box to work or did it magically just start working? Thanks again!
0 Kudos
jjwarns
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Might have to try this! Thanks @AndS.
0 Kudos