Searching...

Netflix using data when its included on my plan

Kimberlymwhite

So I’ve called Optus twice, once last week, the ladie was helpful and said she would monitor my account because I shouldn’t be getting data deducted from my account because it is data free as per my contract. After waiting a week for a response I called again an spoke to someone else who said that because I have a subscription to Netflix it was using my data. Which is confusing as I thought you needed a subscription to Netflix? After asking to speak to someone else or her supervisor and her saying no because they would only provide me with the same information I have decided to ask all of you Smiley Happy can someone please help me understand why I get data deducted from my account when all I do is stream from Netflix? Thank thank thank you! 

Re: Netflix using data when its included on my plan

petergdownload

Have you registered for free data? Its under MYACCOUNT under the tab up the top labled SPORTS and ENTERTAINMENT.

Second are you not on an unlimited plan? Are you on mobile broadband?

Third the unmetered Netflix on mobile only applies to SD watching - are you watching in HD?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

CassieD

This is happening to me also. I'm not sure why it's coming up on my data usage when it's not meant to be coming out of my data at all.

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

@CassieD

As mentioned it will show as data used in various screens (because it uses data). It won't be counted out of your monthly total.

Perhaps check you have the free data option enabled (Its in MYACCOUNT at the top on the TAB labelled SPORTS and ENTERTAINMENT

Also the data is only free if streaming SD Netflix. Not HD.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Kimberlymwhite

Yes I have it enabled. I just use the app on my phone like everyone else. It is included with my plan that’s why I renewed my contract. When I called customer service the first time I was told that I won’t go over my data because it won’t use it even if it looks like it does then when my bill came in I went way over and was charged $10 for every GB so I called again and was told that there was nothing I could do because I have a Netflix account? How do I know why my netflix is different to all the other people I know how are on the same plan but aren’t having issues? 

petergdownload

Netflix normally won't use data (as mentioned its SD viewing only that is free)

Use the Optus APP to see what your usage is (its only the main big number that is the correct value of what is being charged for. As a test. Check your usage. Watch and hour of Netflix on the phone. Wait an hour and see if the usage has been added to your grand total or not.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Kimberlymwhite

Okay I think I understand now. The plan that I’m on with netflix was + HD which I didn’t realise that i had to change my plan back to be on 1 screen standard defintion for it not to use the data. Thank for you help 

Kimberlymwhite

Hey, check what plan your on with Netflix. It’s stupid but you had to be on the $9.99 plan a month with 1 screen viewing and standard viewing one for it to work 

petergdownload

I think you can set your default output resolution on all Netflix plans in its setting somewhere. Not sure how it works if you want SD on the phone and HD on your TV. 

Anyway, thanks for the info you found out.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
47 Kudos
17 Kudos
16 Kudos
11 Kudos
11 Kudos