Searching...
Highlighted

Netflix throttled at 1 mbps

carleast

I recently swapped Optus plans and use the sim in the Telstra Nighthawk M1 5g mobile hotspot in my house and since then my Netflix app on my LG OLED55C6 will not play video at more than 1 Mbps (pressing the info button on my TV while in Netflix shows the playback Mbps). In fact it doesn't budge from this speed after a few seconds of playback. That is despite me testing my internet speed test on two devices and I'm getting around 30 Mbps download speed. Previously I was able to stream 4k with ease. 

I have tried connecting to the TV via the LAN and WiFi connections and it's the same 1 Mbps both times. Furthermore, I've just played a 4k HDR video through the YouTube app on the TV and it played perfectly with no buffering. So it's not the connection or the TV. It is the Netflix app.

I've gone to Account>My Profile>Playback Settings in my Netflix account and it's set as High Quality so no issues there either.

The only thing I can think of is that the change of Optus plan to a new mobile broadband plan (the $80 100gb + 100gb plan) resulted in Optus throttling Netflix. Is it to do with me getting Netflix steaming free but only on low quality? Is Optus forcing me down to low quality in order to force me to get it for free as I don't want that. 

Re: Netflix throttled at 1 mbps

carleast

Further to the above I just tried changing the playback quality from high to auto and weirdly it allowed the playback to go right up to 15 Mbps for about 30 seconds and then it went back to 1 Mbps. I'm so confused but something is definitely throttling it

[ Edited ]
Yeldarb

The free mobile tv stream is set at a maximum of 1.5Mbps if that's what you are referring to.

https://www.optus.com.au/for-you/entertainment/tv-movies-music/mobile-tv-streaming

carleast

Thanks, i have seen that before but my understanding is that unless you set the playback quality to that speed yourself then it would continue to play at the quality that you set it at, which in my case is high.

I know my internet speed is very fast and I just can't get Netflix to utilise the available bandwidth. Could Optus be stopping me from doing that specifically on Netflix? 

Yeldarb

If you are using a connection that offers data free streaming I would say yes it would be restricted by Optus.

carleast

I hope that is not the case. I'm paying Optus $80 per month to get 200gb and the only thing that I use capable of using that much data is Netflix. So if they are throttling me (they didn't on my old $20 plan) then I'm complaining.

I found this about US carriers. www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2018-09-04/youtube-and-netflix-throttled-by-carriers-research-fi...

Yeldarb

Well most people would be happy with the data free offer and I also suspect it stops the whole mobile network from crashing to the ground. I understand your objection but I don't have an answer for you. Possibly a mobile plan that doesn't offer free streaming but I don't know if there is one.

carleast

You're not really helping lol so I'd prefer you don't keep replying. Thanks for trying though. 

I found the exact same issue with Telstra over a year ago in this thread. These customers experienced exactly what I am now. So it definitely seems like something that Optus are deliberately doing. Please fix it as I'm paying for a service that I will only use a tenth of without fixing the issue. 

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Streaming-Netflix-Stan-Foxtel/Netflix-Slow-Connection/td-p/61...

Paddylee

Optus is not deliberately doing it.

Its part of the plan and can be turned off (though wont take effect until next bill period).

More then welcome to use a vpn so you use a non Optus Netflix cache server and the speed limiting AND free data is removed.

Pretty much - dont use Optus's own netflix cache = no speed limiting and no free data.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

carleast

Thanks for this. Just as you were posting this I found the below. I've switched it off. It's annoying that it won't take effect until my next bill though as I never asked for it to be switched on in the first place. It should be very clear when you get this feature that is throttles you. The way it reads is that you will not get the free steaming unless you reduce the quality settings yourself rather than Optus forcing it on you

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2746789

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
47 Kudos
16 Kudos
16 Kudos
11 Kudos
10 Kudos