Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor Gavin4352
New Contributor

Netflix data free

Hi,

I am on "MY MBB Plus 25gb" plan and have activated 'Mobile TV streaming', and have recieved an email confirmation that it is ready to go.

I am using an Optus E5573 wifi device, and have my Samsung Blue-ray player connected, which I use to watch Netflix, which is set to SD quality.

My problem is I am still NOT streaming netflix data free.

Can someone please advise what I have to do to stream data free?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Netflix data free

(1) Firstly I would suggest that the plan you are naming is obsolete, and will not work with their system. I don't know what you are paying for it, so I can't advise any better plan to move to. I would look at the 100GB month to month plan $70.

For the next day, you can get very cheap phone plans (12m)

https://www.optus.com.au/shop/mobile/phones/sim-only

(2) Probly the Samsung is wrecking it up. Optus TV is only warranted for viewing on the primary tablet/phone with the SIM in it, so the rationale for why it's not working on the Samsung will not be forthcoming. The video is said to come from an Optus cache, rather than Netflix, so a device which accidentally bypasses that, and comes directly from Netflix fails to be unmetered.

You first have to reliably test whether you are getting the service free at all, by putting the SIM into a phone and letting Netflix run for an hour. After (say) 3 hours, see if the data turns up on the main usage dial on your Optus phone app, or My Account.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

But to keep your hopes up, I run Netflix unmetered through an LG TV (2014 model) via a Car Wifi modem E8372, on the 200GB month to month plan, which is not currently available. Also works on the 100GB, which I had last year. Optus website does not mention TV on the 100GB plan, but Optus shop will know.

If you are on the old account system, I recommend trying to divorce from that and coming back in with entirely new email address, so you get the new account system. Do this via Optus shop, say. Try not to get the old stuff linked to it.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Gavin4352
New Contributor

Hi and thank you for a quick response......

The 25gb data only plan is $50/month and have only been on this for a week, so is new.

Ok, so if install Netflix app on my phone and insert the Optus SIM, and test if it is data free?.....I will try that....

but wouldn't that be same as wifi and Samsung set up?........but will try and post back results

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

The only $50 x 25GB plan I can see is postpaid, without TV. If I were you I'd be looking at the phone plans very eagerly.

Ive heard reports of this setup not working with Samsung smart TVs. It will work with Android 4K TV boxes, athough they are generally cheap crashing rubbish.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

I'd be runnin out to the Optus shop this arvo to get the $40 x 30GB plan

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

>>but wouldn't that be same as wifi and Samsung set up?........but will try and post back results

No, because each device has it's own will, and can bypass the Optus Netflix cache, if it bypasses your modem's DNS function.

As an irrelevant aside, Optus claims to check what you are doing, and disable the function when you use wifi.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

"I'd be runnin out to the Optus shop this arvo to get the $40 x 30GB plan"

@10000000000GB I think the OP is not using a phone but MBB (I missed this one a few days back too)

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

The is no prohibition on using a phone SIM in a hotspot modem, and most people nowadays seem content to use phones as their modems, since they are often better. If used as a phone plan, you get the $10 extra value of free calls, or you can forget about the phone value and just use it as a data source with unmetered TV. I don't think the TV is any different. For the same $50 expenditure, he can get 60GB in a phone plan.

Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

That I did not know. 

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos