Searching...

Re: Netflix cancellation

MHug1

I'm currently overseas. The first person I messaged with on 'live chat' through the Optus app, never got back to me. I ended up re-starting my membership with Netflix directly. Messaged with another person on 'live chat' and was given the run around. I told them I wanted the Netflix billing taken off my optus account. They assured me it won't show up on my next bill, but not confident that will happen with the level of incompetence I have seen thus far. I'm guessing this is something I will have to resolve when I get home. Until I get home, I imagine I will be paying twice for the same service, once to Netflix and once to optus (who are obviously making a nice little profit off this scam). I will probably be changing service providers. I've been a very happy optus customer up until this moment.

Toomey

Hey guys, I had an email saying this issue is currently being investigated, but unfortunately there is no solution from our end. Your only option to access Netflix in the mean time is to sign up with them directly. Pro-rata credits should be applied on your next bill if you have paid for days in advance that can't be used, but feel free to private message me with your account number, full name and DOB if you have any concerns when this is published.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

saxydude
Update 3. Still waiting for a call or an email or a text or a note by carrier pigeon or something. Anyway, did a bit more research and found that if we no longer want Netflix billed to our Optus account we must complete a "Direct Carrier Billing Opt Out Form" here: ---> https://offer.optus.com.au/netflix-billing?_ga=2.228283102.2131062666.1504585878-2019704242.15042311.... Well, I did not complete that form so again I ask, why was my Netflix service billed through Optus cancelled? No-one seems to be able to answer this. If anyone has had any luck in resolving this issue, I would greatly appreciate your advice. Thanks.

saxydude

Update 4. Email received this morning from Netflix. "Optus let us know that they were unable to successfully bill you this month. Your card on file may be expired or there may be a problem with your billing information. Due to the billing issue, your account has been cancelled. If this was a mistake, or if you change your mind, we'd love to have you back. Simply restart your membership to get back to watching." Firstly, I dont understand how Optus have not been able to bill me this month. They billed me fine and the account was paid ahead of time as usual. The other issue is, to restart my membership I have to sign up with netflix direct and put it on a credit card. I don't want to do this. There is a reason I want it billed trhough my Optus service. If optus has decided to cancel direct billing through their system then fine, but tell me it's going to happen ahead of time. Not just simply one day find it's no longer working. And in any case, my earlier comment stands... I paid for this month and am not getting the service.

Davmas

I totally agee with @saxydude that if you are going to make changes to our account, we should be told ahead to time and not after the fact or in this case the third party supplier.

And what raised about the billing is the exactly same for me, Netflix was on the bill and this was paid before the due date as normal.

This needs to be rectified ASAP

Highlighted

Davmas

Update 4 - Recieve the new Optus bill for this month and low and behold there is no charge for Netflix on it at all, it is missing completely.

Whether this is because I just upgraded my Phone and plan, although I wouldn't have thought so as the Netflix subscription was attached to my number on to the actual device.

So it looks like if I don't want to actually subscribe direcly to Netflix, I will no longer have it. I like @saxydude had reasons not to do this.

Thank Optus Smiley Sad

saxydude

Update 5 - No answer to my written complaint submitted on 1 September, 2017 (well over the 10 working days response time).

I spent another 30 mins on the phone today and still no answer as to why the Netflix billing was cancelled. The person I spoke with was very good and took time to try and find out what happened, but could not get an answer. She kindly applied a credit to my bill for the service in recognition that it was paid but not accessible (can't see it there yet but will give the benefit of a doubt that it will happen).

So I guess I have no choice but to set up a payment facility directly with Netflix. This undermines the convenience of having the services billed as part of my Optus account. I don't understand how something like this happens and no-one knows anything about it. It's very disappointing.

I still want an answer and will pursue it through other channels. I'll post an outcome/explanation here if/when I get some sort of result.

[ Edited ]
saxydude

Update 6. I contacted Optus again to day about some other stuff and the person I spoke with was amazing. Unfortunately, she couldn't help me with this Netflix issue but put me through to someone who could. The next person said he would check on the issue and politeley asked if he could place me on hold for a minute. After about 5 minutes he disconnected the call. It seems to me that no-one wants to (or is being permitted to) talk about this. I wonder why? Hopefully the Customer Relations Group will have an answer for me... to be continued.

saxydude

Final Update. In case anyone is still following this thread... I received a call from the CRG today. Unfortunately it seems there has not been very clear communication on this matter between Netflix and Optus. My understanding of the issue is that, Netflix changed its billing rates due to a change in taxation. This change in rates should have been notified to us by Netflix so we could agree to it or not. I for one, don't recall being asked about a rate increase by Netflix.

In any case, the upshot of the rate increase is that it caused a mismatch between the amount Optus was billing me for the service and the amount Netflix was charging Optus. Therefore, Optus cancelled the payment. Not entirely Optus' fault, I understand, but I still think some sort of explanation or opportunity to agree to the higher charges from either party would have been better business.

I'll be following this up with Netflix again but it looks like there's no choice now but to set up an account directly with them.

Aman_B

Really sorry for the experience @saxydude. Please do let us know once you have contacted Netflix. I do agree once the Optus billing is removed you'll have to sign with Netflix billing to continue using. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
51 Kudos
34 Kudos
24 Kudos
15 Kudos
8 Kudos