Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

NBN FTTC Connection No Gateway device No Support

Hi, I'm having major trouble getting  a hold of someone at optus via phone, optus app or anywhere really.

March ordered NBN, April I received an Optus modem. (Seagan Model with backup 4G service).

I've applied for FTTC and the instruction state to plug the modem into the gateway device. I don't have a gateway device... I've been waiting for weeks/months for this device.
There is no status/correspondence about what is going on and I'm in a state of limbo.

Problem summary:

Optus keeps messaging me (SMS,Email) to connect my device when I have no device to connect to... This is the NBN gateway modem/device mentioned in the FTTC setup instructions. I don't have it and have no idea where it is or when/if it's coming. I do have the Optus white WIFI modem.

I am assuming I can just plug the optus modem into a power socket and the 4G backup will kick in (as I currently have TPG ADSL2+ running off the phone line )

So, my questions in the entire saga these:

1. If I plug the Optus modem in and I cannot get a 4G signal (for whatever reason) will I be charged in 'Activating' the service.
I also have no idea about the 4G reliability in my area so am hesitant to cancel TPG and 'hope' for Optus to work off the 4G. Lastly, I've got 5-6 people running of 1 connection so I'm assuming 4G data will run out very quickly.

2. When will my NBN gateway device be delivered (or at least WHAT IS THE STATUS of this device delivery?) Can anyone tell me where I can get this information?

Also, the Optus app is currently locked in a loop where I log into the app and all I can see is 'message us' and logout. When I click on 'message us' it opens a web browser with a link to download the app... Fantastic.

I can review a tracking number within the app but that is about it. The app states I have no active services (which is true at the moment) but as a result it seems to be stuck in a loop where I cannot actually do ANYTHING. I've logged into otpus via a web browser but apart from access the contract and a few personal details I cannot really do anything...

Basically this is very very disappointing. Understand that COVID is causing major disruptions but this entire event has really dampened my view of bigger companies actually providing better service. The hoops and processes one has to jump through just to speak to someone (oh, calling is no help, options for 24/7 support are 'message us' (which I can't) and hang up)

The last message from optus states 22 days before before my nbn order may be cancelled. I'm party waiting for this to arrive so I don't have to live in limbo.

Any assistance on how I can get answers would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: NBN FTTC Connection No Gateway device No Support

@davened wrote:

I am assuming I can just plug the optus modem into a power socket and the 4G backup will kick in

Yes, if you have this modem and you were not one of the unlucky 800 that received the wrong SIM.

(as I currently have TPG ADSL2+ running off the phone line )

And there is your problem. If you currently have a working ADSL2+ service (i.e. non NBN service ) on the phone line then you have not been converted to FTTC yet.

What "service class" and/or status does it say when you enter your address here?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: NBN FTTC Connection No Gateway device No Support

Thank you for the reply @YetAnotherAcc 

Yes, if you have this modem and you were not one of the unlucky 800 that received the wrong SIM.

What "service class" and/or status does it say when you enter your address here?

The modem is the one you've specified but I have no idea if the SIM is the "wrong" or right one? My hesitation is that my current 4G phone reception is not fantastic throughout the house and I don't want to be paying for both Optus 'nbn...' and TPG adsl.

Regarding the "Service class" - these is no mention 

"Contact a phone or internet provider and order an nbn™ powered plan"

"Getting connected may take longer than expected

Following the recent extreme events across Australia, it may take longer than usual to be connected to, or have a fault fixed with the nbn™ broadband access network. This is regardless of the phone and internet provider you choose. nbn is working hard to reduce impact to customers on the nbn™ access network, and to restore any affected services in a timely manner."

"You're ready to connect

The next step is to contact a phone or internet provider and order an nbn™ powered plan."

No other mention of 'service class' anywhere on the page.

I will likely find a good reception spot n the house and just turn it on at some point prior to their warnings of disconnection just to test it. 

Questions:

• How do I know if I'm one of the 800 with the wrong SIM?
  • How can I check on the NBN status (not just via the form on https://www.nbnco.com.au/) whether NBN is available or not

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos