Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Bridgewoman
New Contributor
New Contributor

My new Fetch box is not connecting to the internet

I recently switched over to NBN about a month ago and was sent a new modem and Fetch box.  My husband was the techie and as he passed away last year, I paid for an engineer to come and set it all up for me.  As my TV is in a different room from my modem there is a powerline adapter with an ethernet cable connected to the modem.  However, there is no powerline adapter in the room where the tv is and the new box is just plugged into the socket.  I did query this but the engineer said there was no longer a need for one here as it was a special plug.

Everything seemed to be working fine till this afternoon I switched on the TV to see a message saying there was a streaming issue.  I switched everything off and as it powered up the box was now asking me to set up the internet, however it was saying there was no ethernet cable.  After checking everything was plugged in properly I noticed that the data light on the powerline adapter was not lit up.  After googling this, I did all the tests using the reset button on the powerline adapter, but as I only have one, couldn't really do much.There doesn't seem to be any reset button on the plug to the box.  I couldn't do the powerboard test either.  I can't rescyn as I only have the one powerline adapter which seems weird to me.  Can anyone help?   I really don't want to have to pay for an engineer.  There was a thunderstorm last night so just wondering if this has affected the powerline adapter.  I have thought about buying another one, but wouldn't know how to set it up with only one.  Also wondering if there is any guarantee period after the engineer set it all up.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: My new Fetch box is not connecting to the internet

the engineer said there was no longer a need for one here as it was a special plug.

If the plug was "special" there would still need to be an Ethernet cable plugged into it. So what the tech said makes no sense.

I'm guessing that the tech just connected to the modem via wifi.

I switched everything off and as it powered up the box was now asking me to set up the internet

If it asked you to set up the internet then it lost its settings. Its not unheard of for a thunderstorm to cause an electrical problem such that a device resets itself and loses settings

however it was saying there was no ethernet cable.

That is no doubt just a default error message which just assumes that you are trying to connect via ethernet cable.

After checking everything was plugged in properly I noticed that the data light on the powerline adapter was not lit up.  After googling this, I did all the tests using the reset button on the powerline adapter, but as I only have one, couldn't really do much.

If you only have one you can't do anything.

I can't rescyn as I only have the one powerline adapter which seems weird to me.

Its very weird. There is no way that the fetch box, or its "special" power plug, have inbuilt power line adapters, so the other power line adapter has either been misplaced or has gone walkabout.

Can anyone help?

Connect your fetch to the modem using wifi. The wifi username and password will be on the fridge magnet that came with the modem, and also on the bottom/back of the modem.

0 Kudos
Serena_YC

Hi @Bridgewoman

Thanks for reaching out to us here. 

Just to double confirm, was the powerline adapter provided by the engineer when they assisted in setting up your Fetch box and new NBN modem for you?

It does seem strange that there was only one powerline adapter provided as to my knowledge, these usually come in pairs.

Based on what you have described, it also sounds like you have already attempted the Powerline adapter setup & troubleshooting for Fetch steps that we would usually suggest for our customers to try. 

As such, I would recommend reaching out to our Social Media team by sending them a private message to the official Optus Facebook or Twitter page for further assistance. 

It would also be helpful to mention that we have referred you from this forum and please do include a link to your post so that our Social Media teams can reference this post when looking into your enquiry as well. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

Bridgewoman
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for taking the time to reply.  I already had the powerline adapter which was supplied by Optus as a set of 2 which I ordered with my original Fetch tv box.

I have now managed to connect by Wifi, although it says it may be slow.  I am puzzled though as to why there was a powerline adapter plugged in and connected to the modem with an Ethernet cable? Very confusing.  

I will contact the social media team in due course.

0 Kudos
Serena_YC

No worries at all, @Bridgewoman

It is very likely the situation is as what @YetAnotherAcc has suggested, whereby the engineer/tech could have just connected the Fetch box to the modem via WiFi, especially if only one of the powerline adapters were used.

If you still need a hand, do reach out to our teams so that they can assist further and perhaps organise replacement powerline adapters for you as well if need be. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.