cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor Shamo
New Contributor

Mobile TV streaming to a Smart TV through a router

Hi all, a bit confused. I just realised that we have free mobile TV streaming active on our account. We have been wathcing the data on our 200Gb account get swallowed up by Netflix. It seems this does no apply to a smart TV is that correct? We currently have a modem router setup with a mobile sim and the TV running off that router. Any one have any ideas how to get this working on this type of setup? Thanks

3 Replies
Crowd Champion Davelew
Crowd Champion

Re: Mobile TV streaming to a Smart TV through a router

Hi

I don't think it will be data free using the Netflix app on your smart tv. This is what Optus say;

Data free Mobile TV streaming is not suitable for tethering, hot-spotting to multiple devices or streaming to a bigger screen using services such as Chromecast or Apple AirPlay. If you do tether or stream to a bigger screen, it will use your included data.

I am assuming you have downloaded the Netflix app to your tv.

I could well be wrong in my thoughts on data usage.

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
New Contributor Shamo
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply Dave. That seems to be the case, though I'm not sure how they differentiate the data stream between a mobile, ipad or a TV? I wonder if watching Netflix on the PC in a web browser with the data through a router would get the free streaming option. Be nice if Optus were a bit more specific.

0 Kudos
Crowd Champion Davelew
Crowd Champion

I think an option for you would to use miricast as this just mirrors your PC screen to the tv.  You can buy a miricast dongle on eBay for around $20

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos