Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Mighty Fetch TV Box only has HDMI

Hi, I am expecting to receive my Mighty Fetch TV box this week.

To my horror I see that the Fetch box only has a HDMI connection to back to the TV. Is this correct?.

I have an older Samsung Plasma (Standard Definition).

My Gen 2 Fetch box had Analogue connectors (Composite)  as well as HDMI.

What are my best and cheapest options if the analogue connections are not availabe on Fetch Mighty?

Thank you

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Mighty Fetch TV Box only has HDMI

More and more devices are becoming HDMI only. What Samsung model do you have?

FWIW Composite is a significant (noticible) drop in picture quality (If HDMI is 100% then Composite is around 70%). You must also have other analogue inputs on the TV (Component is about 90% of HDMI - Green/Blue/Red plugs)

If you want to hang onto the TV (and why throw out a perfectly good TV?) then you'll need an adapter. These are the (only) options here. I believe you'll want the X3 model ($180) - it comes with all the cables needed and just works automatically when plugged in.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

Removed as duplicated

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Peter, yes the Plasma does have Componet as well as Composite.

So you are saying that the Componet converter will be better that a composite converter.

thanks for your speedy response.

Roger Brealey

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Yep. For one thing its three wires instead of two. but in practice composite was only designed for SD resolutions (576i). Component will provide a noticibly crisper image. 

That said your TV may be one of the older SD plasmas (Do you have the model?) in this case the image quality will be driven more by the screen and not the cable. Either way though this device converts HDMI signals into one that your TV can understand.

Another nice feature of this is it has two HDMI inputs that you can toggle between (auto or manual). That means if you have another device (say a DVD player) you can use its hdmi plug and get the improved PQ from that as well.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Peter,

understood thank you.

The Plasma model is Samsung PS-42D5S - a standard definition TV, which gives fantastic reproduction. I often cannot tell the difference between that  screen definition and what would be from HD when we view from about 4 metres from the screen.

Regards

Roger

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Yep a SD model. Our TV is 42" plasma too Smiley Happy 

Its a common misconception that HD provides a better picture on a screen that size and at that seated distance. HD was invented (among other reasons) to allow you to watch to the same relative quality on a larger screen.  On a 42" screen you'd probably  need to be sitting closer than 2.5m before the SD image started looking "worse".  

Anyway, you should see a little bit of a picture quality boost but ulimately it will be business as usual.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Ok peter, Thanks.

My Mighty Fetch box has just turned up. So I will have to buy a HDMI to Component converter. 

Any suggestions as to what to look out for?

I don't want to pay a million dollars?

I will be going to Jaycar this afternoon.

Regards

Roger

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

You'll notice I put an "(only)" next to my link way above. I may be wrong but I think almost all convertors you can buy on line or in store will have the disclaimer that they can't play HDCP protected material (which is a lot of stuff - not sure if its FTA TV though). A lot of equipment won't work if the HDCP signal is present. 

That said Jaycar seem to have a composite model here and component one here

The main issue I believe with a converter is ensuring the audio remains in sync with the video. It will also be a powered unit (no such thing as a passive HDMI converer). Finally the image may shift a bit on the screen (e.g. lose a cm off the right side). 

Also the convertor will almost always split audio out a TOSLINK (optical) or standard 3.5mm jack. Check your TV can accept audio in via one of these methods (and that you get a cable at Jaycar too)  

So talk to the guys at Jaycar. See what they say and make sure you can bring it back if needed. The one in my link is a third generation and well known and thought of (Just take time to get).

Others may have some better ideas than me...

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Peter you have been a great help to a novice.

Kind regards

Roger Brealey

0 Kudos