Searching...

Re: ME TV - Download problems on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights

kgb

From my experience after using the service for the past few months, unfortunately I have to download movies approximately 12 hours before I want to watch it on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday night. I run speed tests from the MeTV service and it comes back as "Acceptable". Obviously that means, my Optus internet connection speed is fair rather then anything spectacular and that causes the delays.

As a result I have gone back to using the local video store.

Bring on the NBN!

[ Edited ]
kgb

@Lelu wrote:

I have just receivevd METv tonight and after having problems with activiation....now I have tried to watch my first movie and it only plays for a few minutes before it pauses and then plays again....and then pauses. I was not advised before going into contract of the problems associated with the service. When I tried to go back and watch the movie later it would not even let me press play. I'm confused by the service as it is not as straight forward as pitched to me.

Do I have to download the movies before watching them??? I wasn't even advised of that.

If anyone can give me some advice to get the most out of this it would be greatly appreciated Smiley Happy

From my experience, Run a speed test from the settings menu. If it is anything like mine, you will need to request a download hours in advance of watching any movie. Good Luck.Smiley Mad

Ian

@kgb wrote:

From my experience after using the service for the past few months, unfortunately I have to download movies approximately 12 hours before I want to watch it on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday night. I run speed tests from the MeTV service and it comes back as "Acceptable". Obviously that means, my Optus internet connection speed is fair rather then anything spectacular and that causes the delays.

Bring on the NBN!

Hey! I replied to your original post back in January but you didn't come back Smiley Sad Have you done any testing yet?

Troubleshooting is what's going to narrow down the cause and/ or fix the problem for you.

kgb

@Ian wrote:

@kgb wrote:

Bring on the NBN!

Hey! I replied to your original post back in January but you didn't come back Smiley Sad Have you done any testing yet?

Troubleshooting is what's going to narrow down the cause and/ or fix the problem for you.

Yes, I ran the connection speed test within MeTV and as per above it came back "Acceptable" with information advising "you may have problems downloading movies on demand" which is exactely what does occur specifically at night times.

Ian

Have you looked at the other questions at all? There's a range of troubleshooting we can do to narrow down what's causing this. The below is from my post on the first page Smiley Happy

@Ian wrote:

Hey kgb - we'd need some further info to look into this before we could advise...

Are you using a DSL Direct service or Cable internet with Optus? What does a speed test actually show for your service? Try this one...

Have you performed a test when you're actually experiencing the issue and compared it to see if there's any drop in speed?

Are there other devices connected to your service when you're trying to download the content that may be using part of the bandwidth that's available?

Let me know...

Highlighted

Calelli
We're having the same problem. Downloading mid week seems to be fine or even earlier in the evening. It seems that 7.30pm on a friday or saturday is prime download time. It's at this time of course we want to watch movies. Yesterday I had been organised and downloaded a movie at 5.30 but when we went to watch the movie it was unavailable. This is the 4th time this has happened. We are going back to hiring DVDs to avoid disappointment I am sick of calling optus and wasting hours on the phone, not getting promised calls back and rude agents. This may be a free service, but ultimately i am paying using my most precious commodity - time.

BigJilm

Yeah, same issues here, we had difficulty last night afterpaying for a movie, and after 45 mins or resetting over and over and being disconnected by the call centre we were told it was a fault. Smiley Sad

Went to bed and noticed the movie had downloaded overnight, but then could connect the iphone app so did another reset and lost the movie.  The movie we paid for expires tonight so we went to watch it and now have to download again. Smiley Mad

Now watching TV hoping to get it downloaded in time.

I left all details with the call centre who promised to txt me but havent heard anything yet... this is pretty frustrating.

rochabra

hi im experiencng the same problem except today is wednesday, very dissapointing , i have run the speed test and it came up with:Last Result:
Download Speed: 655 kbps (81.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 212 kbps (26.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 110 ms
Wednesday, 20 February 2013 7:35:09 PM

dont know if this is a good speed or not, and i have been on the phone to optus  on hold for 45 min,  can someone please help?

Ryan

@rochabra wrote:

hi im experiencng the same problem except today is wednesday, very dissapointing , i have run the speed test and it came up with:Last Result:
Download Speed: 655 kbps (81.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 212 kbps (26.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 110 ms
Wednesday, 20 February 2013 7:35:09 PM

dont know if this is a good speed or not, and i have been on the phone to optus  on hold for 45 min,  can someone please help?

Hey rochabra - do you know if this is a Cable or DSL Direct service that you're running the Optus TV with Fetch service through? These speeds don't look too good at all - did you manage to speak to one of our tech rep's last night to take you through some troubleshooting steps? Let us know.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
56 Kudos
49 Kudos
21 Kudos
14 Kudos
12 Kudos