Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Keep Losing Free-to-Air Channels - Channel 9 in particular

So I had a Fetch TV Gen 2 box and a couple of weeks ago we lost Channel 9 and all affiliated channels.  Went through all the troubleshooting with Optus - bought a new antenna cable, soft reset, many full channel scans etc.  No good, Channel 9 kept coming and going.  Mainly going.  

Received a new Gen 3 box - first scan only got 7 channels.  Husband ended up on roof checking antenna, finally got all the channels.  For a day or so anyway, then Channel 9 started pixelating mid watching a movie then disappeared again!  No signal.  Bought an external booster which seemed to do the trick.  Until yesterday, Channel 9 gone again.  And this morning, we have now also lost channels 2 and 10.  Only constant seems to be Channel 7??

TV works fine, as do the other TVs in the house.  So the problem has to be something to do with the Fetch TV box latest firmware surely?  

Will be moving to FOXTEL if this issue does not get resolved once and for all very soon.  

Any other ideas gratefully received.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Keep Losing Free-to-Air Channels - Channel 9 in particular

Almost certainly you are experiencing the "digital cliff" (Google it)

Essentially as the signal strength weakens, digital TV will continue to provide 100% image quality until at some point the tuner fails and you get 0% image quality. Different tuners have different cliffs (might be 70% signal required for your TV but 75% signal required for the Fetch). Signal strength can wax and wane over the day and evening too.

For a start you may be plitting the wall signal between the TV and the Fetch box? Or perhaps daisy chaining the siganl from one box to another? Or perhaps you have other outlets plugged in around the house?

First (temp?) fix is unplug other equipment from the antenna. Just have the antenna cable go from the wall plate to the Fetch TV. Then a HDMI cable from the Fetch TV to the TV. Run your scan and see if you get all channels.

That might fix things but as you are just on the threshold then a (powered) booster will likely fix the issue properly. Something like this works very well. You can also get them at electronics stores like Jaycar etc.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Peter, what you say does make a lot of sense.  But why all of a sudden would we be experiencing this issue when only a few weeks ago we had no problems in any channel reception.  And nothing has changed.  We had purchased a powered booster, and according to Jaycar the one we've bought (from Big W) should be just as good as any other.  Haven't tried unplugging the downstairs TV aerial and booster yet, but will.  

Similar to what you suggest, first thing in the morning we have lost Channel 9 and then it will come back later in the day.  Or we'll fiddle with the aerial point in the wall and all the other aerial points and it will come back.  Along with Channels 10 and 2 which go from time to time also.   The other night I was watching Channel 9 and it pixelated and faded to nothing, then came back again.  Just weird.  

As I say, 3 weeks ago, this was not an issue.  I can't think of anything which has changed since then.  Now two FetchTV boxes later and TV reception through FetchTV continues to be painful to resolve.  

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

any new structure or buildings in your area? 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Sarahsaw

I can't speak to why. Your on / off reception issues suggest you are close to the cliff.  The change might be in your home somewhere or perhaps the antennas are broadcasting with a bit less power or a bit more interference. 

Regardless the solution is to step away from the edge a bit more. Hopefully the booster works, otherwise you may need an antenna guy to look at the situation.

Good Luck

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Not that I'm aware of and we're pretty high up and near the city, so not sure of any changes there.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Keep Losing Free-to-Air Channels - Channel 9 in particular: PROBLEM SOLVED!

For anyone else experiencing this problem, we fixed it by replacing the antenna cable from the aerial into the wall, including the wall plate.  We think the problem was the wall plate "plug" socket itself, as when that was jiggled around it seemed to temporarily fix the problem, but replaced the lot just in case.  Perfect reception on 40 free-to-air channels again!

Thanks to those who posted suggestions to try. 

Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Sarahsaw

Generally the first thing an antenna guy will do is take off the wall plate, restrip the wire behind and see if that sorts it. Also just replace the antenna lead between the TV and the wall plate. 

Glad you got a good outcome.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

Glad to see you've resolved the issue. Thank you for the update. : D

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos