Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
SoloMeter
Contributor
Contributor

Junk Mail - HUGE Daily delivery - How to stop

Hard to work out what category to use when there is no webmail or email section. I get 30-50 emails everyday with bcoin, b1tcoin, gummie bear, invest, hemp, lose weight and 1,000's of other variations on spelling. They always come from different email addresses, so blocking an email doesn't help. I use block certain words in subject, yet they still get through?
I currently have about 200+ filter rules that are trying to remove junk mail in my email browser BUT nearly all these Junk Emails still get through.
These emails are very clear to me that they are JUNK, yet OPTUS keeps allowing these emails into my inbox ?
How do I stop this rubbish getting through. There are no filters in webmail and I use Outlook for Mac for my email.
Thanks in advance, Greg

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AndrewC1
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Junk Mail - HUGE Daily delivery - How to stop

Sounds like you have given your email address out to some dodgy web sites and they have sold it.

Sounds like you need to buy an email filter program/app/plugin.

I do not think anyone from Optus will help as it looks like their email system is in melt down at the moment and has been for a few weeks from the issues I have seen.

Good luck.

P.S. Setup one email to use on dodgy web sites that you can drop without affecting you. I have a spamtrap2@..... email address that I use for dodgy or web sites I do not trust and when it starts to get too much crud in it it will be dropped and spamtrap3@.... will be used.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Junk Mail - HUGE Daily delivery - How to stop

You'll need to ditch the email address (its burnt). Plus Optus have a pretty poor spam handling system. Its not hard to migrate. Set up a free GMail account. Normally I'd suggest you divert emails across but that won't work here. You'll just need to update contacts and web details until the emails coming to Optus are 100% spam. Then just start using GMail full time - better filtering, sorting, spam handling, security, managing, storage, features, etc.

As mentioned also a good idea to set up a second 'online' Gmail (you can toggle between the two) that you give to dodgier sites and one off events. That way you can burn that anytime and just set up a new one.
0 Kudos
Top Contributors