Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Optus Call Centres info here
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Re: JB-Hi-Fi Fetch Mini & Mighty - Optus Sport EPL

@SamS - Ah I see, Fetch TV isn't included in the $80 Basics Bundle plan but you can add it on for $15 per month and would receive a generation 2 set top box, rather than a Mini. Unfortunately we're not able to provide access to the Optus Sport content on a set top box purchased via a retail store. How long have you had the Fetch Mini set top box for?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hey @Johnno98! Sorry to hear the stream was cutting out for you. Were you getting an error message on the screen? Was this via mobile data or a home broadband connection?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I have had it for just over a month or so.

The gen 2 box is $15 per month over two years is $360, which is almost as much as the cost for a gen 3 box from JB HiFi or Harvey Norman ($399). Why would anyone pay almost as much for last year's hardware as they need to pay for today's version? If it was a gen 3 box your were supplying for $15 per month I might have been tempted...

In the end, given that the free to air tv recording feature was unnecessary for us, I decided to purchase a Mini from Harvey Norman and the $80 EPL eligible NBN bundle, but was assured it would work with Optus Sports as I have shown above.

This is a clear case of miss-selling, especially in Johno98's case above. It is not a case of customer misunderstanding and Optus should accept that this issue has been caused by their own very confusing pricing structure, and their staff misunderstanding it...

😞

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Thanks for providing this feedback, @SamS. We'll pass it along to the Live Chat team for coaching purposes. If you'd like to send me your account info and DOB via PM I'd be happy to take a look at your circumstances and see if there's anything further we can do.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I was one of those people who prefered to purchase their Fetch Mighty rather than pay a monthly fee. I was also under the assumption that as an Optus subscriber, that I could then access Optus Sport on my purchased device.... this was what I was also told when I purchased. I realise from the responses from Optus on this forum that my retailer was incorrect. I don't believe that it was an attempt to deliberately mislead though, I believe that it was just that the information is not clear.

Many of the responses from Optus suggest that they would improve that awareness. Well in spite of all the comments from Optus on this forum suggesting that people may be misunderstanding the conditions around Optus Sport availability, the same confusion still exists in February 2018. A tech article published today compared many streaming boxes and their features. Sure enough, listed under the Apps available on the Fetch Mighty was Optus Sport. 

http://www.news.com.au/technology/home-entertainment/tv/the-ultimate-guide-to-streaming-boxes-across...

Clearly, Optus marketing still has not managed to correct this very common misunderstanding. Reading this article reignited my disappointment with Optus in this regard. If the content is firmware enabled, then please deploy the firmware to Optus customers so that we can have access to this content.

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

It seems I have fallen for the same trap, and Optus continues to fail or understand what their customers want.

Good to see that after all this time nothing seems to have changed. I now find this information after multiple attempts work with these out of touch requirements and it just shows how much mis-information there is out there for your product.

I too was advised by an Optus store to buy the Fetch TV as they could not provide one to me due to no mobile or fixed broadband service on my account. Even with a 4G Broadband service active, it still could not be provided. Reading the same article I thought, buy the box connect my EPL account and I'd be laughing... 

Imagine how many more customers you may have if you could register your Fetch unit with Optus and connect it via any broadband service and it would connect and grab it's fancy firmware and just work...

You can't purchase, only rent. Why would I want to pay $15 for the rest of eternity where you can purchase outright...

I'm am still amazed that an ADSL service that performs at 4mbps/300kbps is Fetch TV compatible service, whereas my 4G Broadband service with 50/20mbps is not. Your out of touch Optus.

You let someone stream EPL to their mobile where ever they are but won't let them watch it via Fetch.

Now I'm $150 poorer and still can't watch EPL and soon The World Cup without using the mobile app.

0 Kudos