cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor sssarwar
New Contributor

Is getting Fetch TV worth it?

is it worth paying for Fetch TV monthly subscription? Why do people use this service?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Fetch TV

That's a question only you can answer. For $20 a month you essentially get many of the stations Foxtel airs. Packages (say kids channels) are just $6 each so its a lot easier to pick and choose what you want than traditional PayTV. The Fetch box also easily plays Netflix, Stan, FTA CatchUp TV and FTA Live TV. So you might find some of those those all you want.

Peter Gillespie

Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Fetch TV

Good question sssarwar!

Here are some snippert from a recent Canstar Blue review of Fetch TV:

For an extra $20 a month, you have the ability to purchase an entertainment pack, which includes over 35 channels. However, if $20 is a bit too much – or you can’t see yourself watching all the channels regularly – these packs can be broken down (as above) into four separate options, each costing $6 a month.

Channel packs are generally broken up into interest groups: for example, if you’re a sports fan you might like to select the ‘Vibe’ pack. All the usual suspects are there from what you’d expect with traditional pay TV, and extra packs like beIN Sports and Optus Sport can be added from $15 per month.

With both Fetch media players, you’ll also get these inclusions:

• Over 5000 movies to rent or buy.
  • 30 free pre-selected movies a month (inclusion seems to vary).
  • Integrated ‘Rotten Tomatoes’ reviews.
  • Browse movies based on genre or cast/crew.

Fetch TV is also intuitively integrated with your Android or Apple smartphone, via a free app that also acts as a second remote control (and allows you to record programs remotely, if you’re a Fetch Mighty user).

Both the Mighty and Mini boxes also allow you to watch premium channels on-the-go, and watch shows and movies anywhere. Fetch TV really is an all-encompassing home entertainment hub, and it’s refreshing to see that, besides the lack of recording capability, there’s otherwise minimal compromise when opting for the cheaper Mini player.

Overall

• If you want all-out entertainment and pay TV packages but have a limited data allowance – choose Foxtel
  • If you want cheaper pay TV packages and data is no concern – choose Fetch
  • If you want a cost-effective solution for streaming and a large entertainment library – choose Apple TV, Telstra TV, or Foxtel Now Box
  • If you want English Premier League football – choose Fetch TV with the Optus Sport Package, or buy Fetch TV through an Optus broadband plan
  • If you want ‘a bit of everything’ – choose Fetch TV, Telstra TV, or Foxtel Now Box

Fetch TV seems to offer the best of both worlds between Foxtel and streaming services, and is a cheaper option than most pay TV plans. While you’ll be relegated to streaming much of your content with Fetch, those with unlimited broadband connections will likely not notice any difference.

Is Fetch worth the money?

Fetch is a surprisingly welcome and refreshing change of pace in the streaming world. While it seems many people moved away from traditional pay TV outlets in favour of streaming services, there’s still a market for easy-access entertainment and sports packages. Simply, you can’t get live TV and sports with Netflix, which may be off putting for many potential customers (although sports fans can stream live content via Kayo).

On the other hand, a lot of people became disenfranchised with traditional pay TV, because they found they were perhaps paying too much. This left a void in the market with people looking for streaming, on-demand purchases, and entertainment and sports packages – all rolled into one simple set top box/PVR. This is where Fetch filled that void, and we suspect it’ll become increasingly popular in the future for those looking for an easy, bundled solution to all their home entertainment needs.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Occasional Contributor Se1
Occasional Contributor

Re: Is getting Fetch TV worth it?

Basically, I think the Fetch box is crap. I signed up via NBN to get this service yesterday. But the Fetch TV box doesn't allow me to watch ABC news channel and a few other channels. Done full channel scan mulitple times, but not picking up those channels. then the Fetch box doesn't allow the TV apps, I had on smart TV. There is no way to watch free to air TV by bypassing Fetch TV box, unless we reconnect the Antenna cable back to TV. I had Foxtel in the past but never experienced this kind of nuisance. Planning to cancel the crappy serice.
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Would usually be worth spending a little time getting new equipment set up properly. The issues you raise are usually easily resolvable.

Peter Gillespie
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, Peter. What you say is generally true for most of the things, but when I contacted the customer service, if I want to get the apps and other channels on TV, the only solution is to reconnect antenna cable back to TV. If not, the TV is not receiving any signal.

Foxtel or any DVD players etc, connect an antenna cable to from the box to TV, so the TV is functional even without switching on these new additions. But Fetch TV box, do not have a connection to the TV with antenna cable and only connects via an HDMI link. So. even if I try millions times, the TV won't receive any signal without going through the Fetch TV and it won't display all the apps on smart TV either.  Using TV remote to connect TV won't work. So it is a design failure of the Fetch TV box.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Fetch has been designed as a one stop shop. It provides most major streaming apps (plus their own). An antenna out option was a design decision. If you want to connect both a Fetch TV and the TV to FTA then a $3 splitter will do the job. Your reception issues suggest a powered splitter is probably called for though. These cost around $30. I recommend Kingray as a brand.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the tip. I will try a splitter and see. But if I compare Foxtel and Fetch, fetch is at the bottom line for the program and features.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hope it goes well. Until recently Fetch was better value at $25 compared to $100 for Fox. You got a good smattering of new channels and importantly could spend as little as $6 a month on the pack you wanted.

Foxtel has done some major shake ups in its offering and price points and is definitely worth a look in now.

But for those unwilling to spend $$$ on Foxtel The Fetch TV is one of the few PVRs that handle recording FTA well IMO. It has a bunch of common third party apps (Netflix etc.) as well as FetchTV itself. It can be run for free if the user wants.

Apparently a good pairing might be Fetch, Netflix and Kayo which would cost only $30 a month all up but if its not a good match then other options abound.

Peter Gillespie
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, the splitter idea works, but I am not happy with the content of Fetch.
Top Contributors