Searching...
Highlighted

Is Optus blocking Freeview on NBN

RogerJohn

I have a 2016 Hisense smart TV. When changing TV channels the Freeview logo hardly ever appears. When it does it is very brief. If I manage to see the logo and hit the red button the reaction is slow takes about 30 seconds for the site to appear. I am usually after SBS or Iview. When the site appears the thumbnails do not have graphics in them. Slowly they appear. When I select a program to watch the next widow appears slowly and again the thumbnail graphics are not there, again they slowly appear. When I select play a "spinning" logo appears with the word "Loading". Nothing else happens. The longest I have let this run is 30 minutes.

I have tested with wifi and with a lan connection from the Optus modem to the TV. My connection is excellent and does not drop below 30mbps. I can easily access Netflix and Youtube and play 4k videos no problem.

As a further test today I connected my TV to my phone using the wifi hotspot on the Telstra network. Result - Freeview is faultless. The logos appear every time I change channels and stays there for 2 or 3 seconds, on pushing the red button access to the relevant site is very quick and the selected program runs Ok. So does anyone else have the same problem? Is Optus messing with Freeview?

Roger

Re: Is Optus blocking Freeview on NBN

RogerJohn

I should add that the antenna goes direct to the TV and not to the Fetch box and the Fetch box is disconnected from power.

Dan_C

G'day @RogerJohn, we don’t block Freeview. 

I should know, I was watching it at home on Optus NBN last night. 

It is strange that your Telstra connection seems to work without hitch. 

It's not a great solution, but is there an option to change our DNS settings on your Hisense TV? 

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

***Please note I am not currently with the Yes Crowd team.***

This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

RogerJohn

Thanks for your response.

Yes, I can change from DHCP to manual and change settings.

By the way the modem is the Sagecom 3864V3 AC if that makes any difference.

Roger

Dan_C

Could you try changing your DNS to something like Google or Opendns? That'd indicate that there's an issue with our DNS server. It might also be worth flushing your cache. 

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

RogerJohn

Hi

Changing the DNS setting in the TV to Google allows the Freeview logos to appear and I can get to the catch up programs.

I was not sure if you meant the cache in the TV or if the modem has a cache. I cannot find this setting in the TV.

The only limitation that this has is the closed captions for SBS do not operate. The CC icon is there and selecting it will put the line through the logo but the captions do not operate. I will follow up with SBS. Captions do work for Iview.

The main reason for trying to get the Freeview to work was because Fetch TV does not support the closed captions and we really need them.

Would changing the DNS in the modem make any difference?

Many thanks for your help in getting to Freeview. Its strange that my modem and the provided Optus DNS do not get the same results

Tala

Hi Dan

I had the same problem and followed your suggested fix (changing dns to google or opendns) and got Freeview working but have now lost YouTube and Netflix on my hisense tv. Do you possibly know how I can fix this? 

Thanks a lot 

chloesok

Hey @Tala - I've just responded to your PM, best we continue our chat there Smiley Happy 

jgundy69

It appears i have a similar problem but i dont know how to change DNS on my devices (and frankly i dont think i should have to!). Please advise

Dan_C

You're right @jgundy69, it's not something that should be required of you.

Really what we're doing is trying to figure out a work around.

I've only seen a couple of customers report this particular issue. 

There's no established fix. Unless we receive a larger sample, it's unlikely that a global fix would be implemented.

There's a few variables here.

1) We're unsure if it's a certain brand of TV that's being impacted
2) Free view isn't an Optus supplied product, therefore our staff are limited in their ability to troubleshoot 

Do you know which type of NBN technology you're using at home i.e. Fibre to the premises?
Which brand of Smart TV are you using at home? 

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
53 Kudos
48 Kudos
21 Kudos
14 Kudos
11 Kudos