Searching...

Internet down - can't watch recorder programs or use my phone as a wifi access point

mikeyjames2

Hello,

1. Why does my Fetch box need internet access to watch recorder programs?

2. Why can't I use my phone as an access point for my Fetch box?

My inetrnet has been down all day and can't watch anything on a rare day off from work. I then try and use my phone as an access point - a phone with 16GB of data I pay Optus for - and teh boc tells me it won't allow it.

What gives?

Mick

Re: Internet down - can't watch recorder programs or use my phone as a wifi access point

Toomey

Yes TV by Fetch needs to be able to communicate with our servers to verify your subscription, so unfortunately the box cannot be used without an active internet connection. They are only compatible with a fixed line connection also so tethering or wireless broadband services would not suffice I'm afraid.

Annoying that this has happened on your day off, the only solution would be to get your internet back up and running → Troubleshooting Index

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Re: Internet down - can't watch recorder programs or use my phone as a wifi access point

mikeyjames2

Get my Internet back up and running? Seriously? It was down all day for the entire street.

It's pathetic! You'd think you could at least use the mobile device to verify the subscription.

It's not the customer's fault when Optus is down, so why punish them even further? No Internet, no email, no phone, no live TV.

Then to rub a bit of salt in you can't watch recorded programs and can't use a mobile device either. 

As I said, PATHETIC!!

[ Edited ]
mikeyjames2

Great work Optus. Off work again today and no Internet again. Woke up early to watch the soccer and the Internet was out. Still out at midday 5pm. That's all day twice within a week.

No Internet, no phone, and no TV. Plus no ability to watch recorded programs on the Fetch box or use the 16GB of mobile data I pay for as an access point.

Optus - You Need to Fix This. 

• We should be allowed to at least watch recorded programs if the net is down. How hard would it be to allow the box to function for 12-24 hours without calling home to verify the subscription? It's not as if you can plug it in and get free Fetch TV.
  • We should be able to use mobile data to watch TV if the net is down. It's our data to use. 
Highlighted

Dan_C

@mikeyjames2,

I believe you can hotspot from your phone to Fetch. We'd obviously advise against it, as you're likely to chew up a large portion of your data allowance.

As far as your cable service is concerned, it looks like service has now been restored to the area. I can see that we've registered usage from the modem.

Fetch does need an active internet connection to work, this is not a limitation that's been set by Optus. We don't manufacture the units, they're purchased from Fetch themselves.

When you boot up your Fetch set top box, it does need to authenticate with the server. Without an active internet connection, you’ll be stuck on the loading page.

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Bones001

Yes TV by Fetch needs to be able to communicate with our servers to verify your subscription, so unfortunately the box cannot be used without an active internet connection.

This is surely one of the greatest weaknesses of FetchTV. It's all there on the box in YOUR house, a box which YOU have paid for, but you can't watch anything you have recorded. Madness!!

[ Edited ]
mikeyjames2

"I believe you can hotspot from your phone to Fetch. We'd obviously advise against it, as you're likely to chew up a large portion of your data allowance."

I tried it and the Fetch box would not allow it. It popped up some error message about not allowing a connection from a mobile device. If I could have done this you wouldn't have heard from me here. 

I will try again over the next couple of days and report the exact message I get from the box when I try to hotspot from my phone. 

Dan_C

I've dug up an old thread and one of our retired mods have advised the following:

Our Yes TV by Fetch stream will NOT work through tethering or hotspot on our mobile network. The Yes TV by Fetch stream is special and only designed to go over a home internet connection.

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/TV-Entertainment/EPL-via-mobile-to-TV/td-p/167728

Please let me know though, it'd be a good knowledge to have on hand. 

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

mikeyjames2

Hi,

Just as an update. My Internet went down again for a couple of hours on the weekend. 

Not sure why it didn't work before, but the Fetch box did allow me to connect via my phone's hotspot to at least keep it activated. I was therefore able to watch my recorded programs. If I tried to watch live TV I got the message about not working from a mobile connection.

Cheers

Mick

Dan_C

Interesting. I always thought it was possible.

Thanks for the update @mikeyjames2, that's handy advice to know!

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
48 Kudos
17 Kudos
16 Kudos
15 Kudos
12 Kudos