cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Internet connection problems with fetch box gen 2

My Fetch box keeps disconnecting and reconnecting to the internet. Did soft factory reset, purchased new powerline adapter's, unplugged power rebooted router and replugged power. Nothing is working. Internet speed is 45mbps Wifi is working fine. Netflix nil streaming issues but for some reason my Fetch box will go on and off with no internet connection. It doesn't give me the option to connect via wifi so Ethernet cable it is. Please help!
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Internet connection problems with fetch box gen 2

Have you tried with a different ethernet cable in case the current one is faulty?

Is the fetch the only thing plugged into the powerline adapter?

Are the powerline adapters plugged into wall sockets or power boards? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Yes to all of the above. Purchased new adaptors in case there was a fault there. Changed to new cables. Tried to plug the adaptor into a different wall power socket. No change still keeps dropping out.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

I'm assuming the different wall plugs you tried were all in the same room.

I have a powerline adapter that really sucks when its plugged into my preferred spot in my room, but works significantly better when plugged into another rooms wall socket via power extension cord. While not an actual solution, it at least identified the electrical wiring as the problem. Maybe you can do similar tests.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Yes power plug next to it and no haven't tried a different room as this would mean I have to buy another extra long Ethernet cable of approx 10 metres. Shouldn't be an electrical fault as it only started doing this last week. Prior to this only ever had one problem which was the powerline adapter hence the reason that I bought new ones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Lvosters wrote:
Shouldn't be an electrical fault as it only started doing this last week. 

I'm not saying its an electrical fault as such, just that the electrical wiring may not be as suitable for data as it once was.

Prior to this only ever had one problem which was the powerline adapter hence the reason that I bought new ones.

And the powerline adapter sends the data over the home electrical wiring. So it could  still be the wiring, especially since you said there was no change after replacing the powerline adapter.

I'm only suggesting that if you have a power extension cord that you could do some testing using the power extension cord in different rooms.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

As in.... Use the extension cord in a different outlet and plug the adaptor into the extension cord? I could give that a try (Hope it's not the wiring as the house is only 5 years young)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Lvosters wrote:
As in.... Use the extension cord in a different outlet and plug the adaptor into the extension cord?

Yep.

@Lvosters wrote:
Hope it's not the wiring as the house is only 5 years young

Remember that your home electrical wiring is not designed to handle data as well as electricity, so if the powerline adapter does not work well it does not mean that you have faulty electrical wiring.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors