cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor GinoH
New Contributor

Re: I'm getting an error that says HDCP Error when I connect an HDMI device, Fetch Mighty (Gen3)

I am getting the same error. Fetch mighty works fine when plugged directly into tv, but when I plug it into the Yamaha amplifier (that supports DCHP 2.2) using the hdmi cable provided in the Fetch box I get the following error message:

‘This content is not compatible with your tv.

Please connect HDMI OUT to the HDMI input jack that supports HDCP 2.2 of the tv’

I have other devices DHCP 2.2 compatible that are plugged in and working, I have tried different HDMI cables to know avail. 

OPTUS / Fetch, please confirm how I resolve this?

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: I'm getting an error that says HDCP Error when I connect an HDMI device, Fetch Mighty (Gen3)

Aha,

I am getting the SAME error.

I previously had a Denon AVR-2092 receiver (8 years old) connected to a Sharp DLP projector and it all worked fine.

Then I upgraded to a Denon AV-2400 receiver and got this error with no other changes to my system.

I tried LOTS of different things to get it sorted.

If I connected the FetchTV box directly to the projector - all good (but no sound)

If I connected via the receiver then I got sound but no picture due to this error.

Actually the projector didn't display ANY message (nothing at all - just a black screen) but when I plugged a brand new TV into the system in place of the projector THEN I saw the HDCP error message.

HDCP is copy protection for 4K video

What I THINK is happening is that the FetchTV output is being upscaled to 4K by the receiver and then the fetch TV box sees that the projector hasn't got HDCP and so blocks the projector.

When you plug the projector directly into the FetchTV box then the Fetch TV box can see that the projector doesn't support 4K anyway so it doesn't attempt to use HDCP and so it all works OK.

I got around it by going to Jaycar and buying a HDMI splitter.

Now I don't understand WHY this works and the receiver doesn't because this splitter ALSO supports 4K video - but it does work.

So I connect the fetchTV to the input of the splitter and then connect one of the two outputs to one of the inputs on my receiver and then connect the projector to the receiver HDMI output. I then have a spare output on the HDMI splitter which I can route to another TV if I want to.

2 Port HDMI Splitter with UHD 4K Support - Jaycar CAT.NO: AC1710 $49.95

These splitters will distribute a HDMI source to multiple HDMI displays simultaneously. They are typically used in retail environments, clubs, business foyers, data control centres etc. HDMI 1.4 compliant and has full support for 4K UHD and 3D video. It also supports a breadth of audio formats including Dolby-AC3, DSD and more.
I also replaced my HDMI 1.3 cables with HDMI 1.4 (with ethernet) cables. Any cable marked HI SPEED HDMI would do the trick.
Features:
• 3D HDMI 1.4a support
• 3D video support

Specifications:
• Supports resolutions up to 4K (3840 x 2160) @30Hz, 1080p @ 120Hz, and 1080p 3d@60Hz
• Supports deep colour: 30-bit, 36-bit, and 48-bit per pixel
• Supported Audio formats: DTS-HD, Dolby-true-HD, LPCM 7.1, DTS,  Dolby-AC3, DSD
• ESD protection
• HDCP 1.4 compliant

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

See my post later on, Hollie, as I have found a solution that works.

HOWEVER

The problem IS in the FetchTV box and this should be referred back to FetchTV for them to update their firmware.

If you put a $50 Jaycar HDMI splitter between the FetchTV box and the receiver it all works fine

BUT

the customer should NOT have to do this and Optus are going to get more and more complaints as more and more of your customers update their home theatre equipment.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Marie,

Trying different cables will probably not help.
The problem is old firmware in the FetchTV box and FetchTV need to fix this issue.
I got around the problem by inserting a $50 2-port Jaycar HDMI Splitter between the FetchTV box and my receiver.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

The problem is old firmware in the FetchTV box and FetchTV need to fix this issue.

It isn't in any of the receivers, TVs etc that your customers have as it is ONLY the fetchtv box that causes this issue.

I have tried HDMI media players, DVD players, blueray players, XBox and Playstation and ONLY the FetchTV box has the  problem.

I got around the problem by inserting a $50 2-port Jaycar HDMI Splitter between the FetchTV box and my receiver.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Trying different cables will probably not help as long as the cable is at least HDMI 1.4 (Fast HDMI) capable

It isn't in any of the receivers, TVs etc that your customers have as it is ONLY the fetchtv box that causes this issue.
I have tried HDMI media players, DVD players, blueray players, XBox and Playstation and ONLY the FetchTV box has the problem.
It is worth pointing out to the FetchTV people that it appears that onl;y the FetchTV mighty has the problem - the FetchTV Mini doesn't appear to.
Hang on, the FetchTV mini has the problem aslo after a firmware update!!!

0 Kudos
New Contributor GinoH
New Contributor

Excellent, glad there is a fix. Thank you for the details. Pretty disappointing Fetch are not coming to the party with a firmware fix or reimbursing the $50!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor BMR
Occasional Contributor

I have the same issue and I resent that I will have to spend $50 of my hard earned to make this thing work. 

I had issues with a Gen 2 box frying its HDD and I get this Gen3 box and have this cursed HDCP issue. 

I need a fix from Optus or its going back and I getting Foxtel. 

0 Kudos
New Contributor GinoH
New Contributor

I feel your pain. I ended up getting a powered hdmi splitter from jaycar just to see if it would work and it did, a bit annoying still. I was talking to Optus support about something else and mentioned the problem and they credited my account. So, inconvenient yes but only out of pocket the fuel and time spent going to jaycar and hooking it up.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor BMR
Occasional Contributor

Here is the advice that I got from Yamaha

"It looks like you TV does not support the latest HDCP 2.2 copy right protocol. The new Fetch TV consoles out put (within the video stream of information) the HDCP 2.2 protocol. As soon as that information goes into a receiver of any brand that has HDCP 2.2 it is designed to hold onto the video stream unless the TV is also compliant. The reason your TV can just play the content is because it is not a receiver / repeater. The TV can only play the content, it cannot forward it on. What you after is some sort of HDCP 2.2 stripper.

Please follow the link below. https://www.google.com.au/search?q=HDCP+2.2+stripper&rlz=1C1CHZL_enAU690AU690&oq=HDCP+2.2+stripper&a...

Regards, Yamaha AV Sales Support"

Looks like I am off to Jaycar for a HDMI splitter/HDCP converter

Top Contributors