Searching...

Re: How do I upgrade my Gen 1 Fetch TV Box to a Gen 2?

DCGSyd

Did they also give you a new modem/wireless router.  The replacement that I recieved free of charge took me from around 12-15mbs to around 95-98mbs.

Mais

No I already have a Netgear CG3000 wireless cable modem/router.  It is very good, my wireless signal is very strong extending to the whole house.  The the earlier wireless modem/router was not very effective.

I have no problem hitting 95Mb/s.  Internet speed is depending not only on our end but also on the other server.  If we hit a slow site then nothing we can do.  When we do a speed test we only testing our speed from one particular server, therefore in the real world our results will vary widely.

Ozemate

Optus is offering customers who have a Fetch Gen 1 Set Top Box a free upgrade to a Fetch Gen 2 Set Top box  for a limited time. This offer expires on the 31st October 2016

Go to URL "optus.com.au/fetchupgrade"

[ Edited ]
DCGSyd

My Fetch TV does not work any longer on non free to ait channels such as BBC & Nat Geo because I have now begun to experience massive packet loss issues and drop out on the internet.  The sorry saga follows and is aclassic example of  the appaling service offered by Optus:

Around 16th November 2016 we began to get serious drop-outs (pings getting packets losses of up to 100%), unable to run speedtest.net (speeds with Netgear Docsis 3.0 CG3000v2 were between 90-95 mbs) and Fetch TV stopped working for BBC etc.  When calling Optus support and finally getting through the automated system I got the usual appalling service where they treat you like an idiot (have been with Optus since 1999 and on cable internet for many years) – i.e. told to reboot the modem then do a factory reset as they deemed there to be nothing wrong because they could see that some data had been downloaded. 

Finally got a an engineer on Friday 25th (after call on around 11 on Wednesday 23rd) and, after checking all the cables on the side of the house, to the modem from inside the house, up the pole on the footpath and replacing the modem (same model) he left saying that the ongoing packet loss/dropouts were probably due to an amplifier issue somewhere up the line - a different Optus team I believe. 

After a further complaint where a recorded message claimed that my problem was solved at 08.18 on Friday 25th November (i.e. they has closed the case as problem resolved) and after huge difficulty getting to a supervisor (called me nearly 4 hours later) I was told that a tech would visit again between 16:00 & 18:00 on Friday 25th.  This did not happen and, after wasting another hour trying to get service I was told that the tech would call again on Saturday morning. 

Following more testing on Saturday he decided that my problem was that version 2.08.06 of the firmware is not compatible with the switch that I have such as Linksys.  So with one computer and printer connected with Ethernet cable to the modem there are no packet losses and Speedtest.net is reporting close to 100 mbs download speed. 

BUT Fetch TV does not work along with anything else reliant on Ethernet connection.  A request was put in to downgrade the firmware to 2.07.xx but that apparently takes at least 48 hours. 

A senior Optus engineer visited on Monday 28th November and made more changes to wiring on the side of the house but said that he was doubtful on the firmware version thesis and instead believed that the problem lies with my switches  which I have been using them for years without any issues. 

It is also very interesting to note that over the years we have, on several occasions lost the internet and sometimes phones at the same time (phones are not through the modem) and previous engineers have said that many of the issues relate to the fact that we are at the end of the line. 

Other comments on similar Optus dropout problems here: http://whrl.pl/ReLGbL

Marie

Really sorry to hear that this has been your experience DCGSyd. I'll certainly pass your feedback on. 

Can completely understand that this is frustrating. from the information you've provided us the right teams are assessing this to get your service back up and running as it should be.

Have you been provided with a reference number for this that we can take a look at?

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

DCGSyd

What I find extraordinary is that I always reboot my modem and do ping tests etc. before calling Optus service faults as it is usual to waste a minimum of 10-15 minutes before getting to speak with a human who then tells you to go away and reboot the modem, do a factory reset and then proceeds to say that there can’t be any issues because they can see that there has been data downloaded over recent days.  For example - last Wednesday @11.058 the operative would not book a technician until I had done a factory reset of the modem so, when I called back to, as expected, report no change (i.e. still up to 100% packet loss) I was told that I would have to wait without services until Friday for the earliest possible engineer visit.  I was promised a credit of $50 and a confirming email – nothing arrived.  I finally got, after having to waste nearly an hour on  the phone with Optus again a number 15829982 via SMS from Optus – there is very seldom anything in writing and, whenever a call is placed the full explanation is required again whereupon they tell you to go through the same procedures.  One person I spoke to seemed have no idea what pinging google.com proved.@11.058 the operative would not book a technician until I had done a factory reset of the modem so, when I called back to, as expected, report no change (i.e. still up to 100% packet loss) I was told that I would have to wait without services until Friday for the earliest possible engineer visit.  I was promised a credit of $50 and a confirming email – nothing arrived.  I finally got, after having to waste nearly an hour on  the phone with Optus again a number 15829982 via SMS from Optus – there is very seldom anything in writing and, whenever a call is placed the full explanation is required again whereupon they tell you to go through the same procedures.  One person I spoke to seemed have no idea what pinging google.com proved.

I am now in a position where I do not know which tech to believe – the guy on Saturday who says it is a firmware issue or the guy today who says it is a switch issue (no doubt trying to position the blame for the issue as a problem with my gear to absolve Optus of any responsibility) notwithstanding the fact that I have had very few problems since the install of the Netgear Docsis 3.0 CG3000v2 and certainly nothing to suggest that there are any switch issues.  From the Whirlpool Forum it would seem that firmware is the more likely issue given my relatively trouble free (very normal to lose the internet and both phone lines which are not through the modem every few months) experience since receiving the Netgear Docsis 3.0 CG3000v2.  

Cannot use the Fetch TV as it is wired or any other devices or printers scanners that were wired through my switch as the only way I can work now is with a Pc direct wired to the modem.  A very poor state of affairs.  It is also worth noting that I was told to go to an Optus shop and get a Wi-Fi dongle but, upon arriving at St Ives was told that I would have to pay for it and the data notwithstanding the fact that our Optus services have been severely degraded since 16/11/2016.

Hollie

Can definitely understand where you're coming from and that it is super frustrating and confusing when you're given conflicting information. More than happy to investigate this further and we can also escalate this through to our second level case management team if needed. If you'd like me to do this please PM me through your full name, DOB and the account number or Internet username this is in relation to.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

jimiw

Hi

how do I unsubscribe from this topic it has become off topic and I'm sick of the emails.

sorry can't find any way to do it

Hollie

Hey @jimiw, at the top of the thread you should have an Options button - there should be an option to unsubscribe there. 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

DCGSyd

Thanks I thought that you would be able to pick up my details from  the case number that I reported. What do you mean by PM please.? Do not want to post my details on a public site. S 

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
50 Kudos
34 Kudos
25 Kudos
14 Kudos
8 Kudos