Searching...

How do I upgrade my Gen 1 Fetch TV Box to a Gen 2?

[ Edited ]
MattJ

There have been a few questions floating around about how to upgrade your Fetch TV Box given Netflix will be supported on the Gen 2 version only. For those interested, here’s everything you need to know.

• There’s a once off fee of $135 to upgrade your set top box
  • It can take up to 10 business days to deliver your new Fetch TV Set Top Box. Once the upgrade is ordered, your original set top box will stop working so you will be without this service for up to 10 business days
  • When you upgrade, you’ll be expected to send your original set top box back within 30 days. If you do not do this, you will be charged a $200 non-return fee on your next Optus bill

To upgrade your Fetch TV Box give us a call on 133 937 and select option 4 for the TV team and then option 2 for Fetch TV.

Matt - Community Manager

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

Re: How do I upgrade my Gen 1 Fetch TV Box to a Gen 2?

colindunbar

I have been a Optus Broadband and local phone customer for over 10 years.

I have been on the $110 Broadband Phone and Fetch TV plan.

I just found today there is a a new $90 plan (24mth contract) which I have just upgraded to. I asked about getting a Gen 2 Fetch TV box as part of the new plan, the ales person put me on to Tech Support.

tech support said it would cost $135, just like what you had said.

I was told if I cancel my service and reapplies I would get a Gen 2 Fetch box.

Isn't there a way I can get a Gen 2 box as part on my new contract?

six8six

I'm in a similar boat to colindunbar. 

If I were to re-contract for 24m on my mobile plan, I would be entitled to a new, free phone (depending on plan). Surely the same thing applies with bundles and we're eligable to receive the latest, up to date hardware with our new contracts?

We've had the same modem now for years (I would assume there is a newer model out now?) and the Gen 1 Fetch box we got as a promotion a couple years back is becoming quite slow to respond when using the remote. I would also like the Netflix capabilities...

MattJ

Hi guys,

At this stage we don't have a free upgrade offer available for Gen 1 users however that's not to say we won't have one in the future. Your feedback on here makes perfect sense so I'll ensure the product owners receive it so it can be taken into account when reviewing the offerings. 

Thanks,

Matt - Community Manager

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

[ Edited ]
six8six

Thanks Matt.

The previous contract we were on was the old $110 fusion bundle which didn't come with a Fetch box, or anything relating to Optus TV, and we were out of contract for a long while.

We were on this plan before Optus even launched Fetch I believe. The box was sent to us free randomly via a promotion to try out midway through the 24m term; not attached to any contract or with any subscription.

I would have thought the upgrade fee wouldn't apply in this case?

MattJ

You'd be best to call the Optus TV with Fetch team to have it all clarified so they can look at your account and understand everything. I don't want to take a guess in case there's some info I'm missing. You can reach them by calling 133 937 and select option 4 for the TV team and then option 2 for Fetch TV.

Thanks,

Matt - Community Manager

MikeP

I've just posted a message on the Netflix thread too but those of you who are interested in accessing Netflix through Fetch TV may like to know that in the course of a conversation with Optus online help chat about the Netflix app on Fetch TV this came up;

"The difference between the 1st and 2nd gen box is the software. Once the 1st gen box is updated into the new software, this will automatically get all the features allowed on the 2nd gen to the 1st gen box"

So it may be the case that changing boxes isn't necessary if this is correct. Can anyone confirm this?

Regards,

MikeP

Pete

Hey MikeP, I can confirm that Netflix will only work on the Gen2 box. The specs on the Gen2 box are different to the Gen1 box. Cheers

possie

When one of the Fusion bundles with the promotional Fetch Gen 1 boxes speaks to Optus about the best way to get Gen 2 box (as suggested by Optus moderator), can you please post here?

Separately, I am disappointed that "Once the upgrade is ordered, your original set top box will stop working so you will be without this service for up to 10 business days".  I would have hoped (and expected) you could have called when the Gen 2 box arrived and get it turned on and the other turned off without much of a time gap. 

Lister55

I think it is incredibly unfair that the customer's using Fetch TV for the longest, are the ones being punished with a $135 fee! You're more interested in getting new customers, rather than retaining your loyal customers that have been using Fetch TV longer!!!

I just recently (in Jan) signed up for the $90 cable bundle, and they made me keep my old Gen 1 box. So really, for me now.. the best thing to do is CANCEL my contract... and then RECONTRACT on the same plan!!! Then I would get new Fetch TV box... AND also be able to take advantage of the 6 months free Netflix offer you have.

Does that REALLY make sense to you Optus? Really??

Start thinking!

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
50 Kudos
34 Kudos
25 Kudos
14 Kudos
8 Kudos