Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hot spot and streaming to Chrome Cast

Hi, I've given up trying to use the local nbn network due to speeds of 0.01 not supporting anything. What I'm wondering is can I setup a mobile hotspot with 4g coverage and connect a chrome cast device to it and stream Netflix from my mobile device to the chrome cast over the hot spot without using data? I can add Netflix to my mobile plan data free and given i have data free music, this would account for about 70% of my net use at home. 

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

Re: Hot spot and streaming to Chrome Cast

Hi

Have a look at this link regarding data usage for Optus Sports.   I would have thought the same would be true for Netflix if you stream using Chromecast:  

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Resolve-Issues/EPL-via-WIFI-Hotspot-Screen-mirror-via-USB/m-p/30582...

Perhaps @Hannah-L , moderator, could confirm.

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

According to the Optus FAQ'sfor Optus Sport, if you tether your phone to another device and then watch Optus Sport through said device, it's still data free. I know that's not the same as Netflix but there's no specific FAQ that addresses Netflix so that was the closest I could get and assume the same rules would apply. I couldn't find anything in 100% black and white for you though.

Also don't forget that when using the data free steaming for Netflix the quality is reduced to SD and you can't force it to go higher. On a mobile screen you'd hardly notice but on a larger screen like a TV, you might

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Davelew beat me to it!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi guys, Netflix in this scenario differs from Optus Sport I'm afraid. Netflix data will only be unmetered on the mobile device which has the Mobile TV add on. Casting to a Chromecast or similar device would take data from your normal included allowance.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

Hi

Thanks @Tris for clarifying Netflix datat usage.

In that case @Nomeian if you have an android phone I would consider Miricast.   The dongles aren't expensive and the data usage would be on your phone.   I have tried with Miricast using my phone and it worked well.

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for the clarification and advice, cheers

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi just wanted to ask about this senario

laptop using internet explorer to watch stan and using my phone as the wifi.... is that included in my data or is that classed as a different device?

cheers

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Unmetered streaming is optimised for use on mobile devices. 

"Mobile TV streaming is suitable for one stream per service on mobile and tablet devices only. Mobile TV will be streamed up to 1.5Mbps in SD quality."

As long as you're streaming in standard definition, you should be fine. Make sure that you manually select your quality setting. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

Hi @Dan_C

Are you sure that is correct. My understand is if you use your phone as a wifi hot spot and then stream on another device using the phone wifi it would not be data free.

Clarification would be good as this scenario come up often on this forum.

Dave

0 Kudos