cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question

Yes Crowd will close and be redirected to Help & Support on the 1st November 2021. Thank you to every member who has made this community such a helpful and supportive place for customers and staff to interact to help serve along with improve our products and services. You will be missed.

S-G
New Contributor
New Contributor

FetchTV band steering

my #FetchTv (mini and mighty devices) connect to Ubiquiti UniFi Wi-Fi using a SSID broadcasting on both 2.4 and 5 ghz frequencies. 5Ghz band steering is enabled, however they never connect to 5 GHz unless 2.4 is completely disabled.  From what I can tell, band selection is controlled by the client.   Has anyone had any luck with this?

Keen on not setting up a 5ghz-only SSID just for this purpose

0 Kudos
2 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: FetchTV band steering

Might be worth having a single 5G SID (Guest?) that you could force the Fetch boxes to use (and only them)

There's apparently options in the modem menu you can play with:

"Prefer 5 Ghz with Band Steering On / Off. Balanced with Band Steering On/Off."

Also possibly power options:

"also set the 5GHz radio to a higher power strength than 2.4GHz to try an convince clients to choose 5Ghz (medium or high) over 2.4GHz (low or medium)."

Otherwise you can always wire the heavy duty items like a Fetch box to take the load off the rest of the network.
0 Kudos
S-G
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: FetchTV band steering

Thanks for taking the time to respond. 

I have tried various options on the wireless access points to get the Fetch minis to steer to 5Ghz without success. Ultimately it’s up to the wireless client (i.e. the Fetch TV) to choose the band, so a firmware update from Fetch might be required if there’s enough people with this issue

Eventually a wired solution will be used, but for now a dedicated 5Ghz only SSID will have to suffice. 

0 Kudos