Searching...

Fetch tv issues

Meliss

I don't use my fetch box that often, but when I do there is ALWAYS something wrong. Tonight I wanted to watch a YouTube video but every 20 seconds or so the sound cuts out... this has been an ongoing issue... I do not want to spend the next hour or so pulling plugs in and out and resetting everything as per usual when I call for assistance. This box has been the worst thing I've ever set myself up for and I can't wait for this contract to finish, a complete waste of time and money. I feel this has something to do with the fact that the box is upstairs and my tv is downstairs. I requested the box be installed downstairs near my tv but the guy insisted he could only install it upstairs. I don't know a lot about this tech stuff and no one has really helped with the continuing issues. 

Highlighted

Re: Fetch tv issues

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

Its not really techie. The box is designed to be in the same room as the TV. Can you let us know the following:

Where is the Optus modem?

Do you have a PC connected to the modem?

Are you connecting over wifi in your house? 

How are you changing the channels etc. with the remote in a different room?

How is the TV connected to the Fetch box? 

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding: By "box" do you mean the Fetch Box or the Optus Modem?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Meliss

Hi Peter,

the optus modem is upstairs near the nbn box. I am connected over wifi. I am the only person in the house, so there is only the tv using the wifi. I have never tried changing tv channels from a different room other than the downstairs tv room. I purchased the Optus additional plug things on Optus advice to enable the fetch box to work. These are plugged directly in the wall sockets, one upstairs near the nbn/modem and the other downstairs next to the tv. I can watch the same video without issues using wifi over my phone from the tv room.

thankyou for your time.

Meliss

Sorry, and there is no PC connected, nothing else is connected. I have everything set up per the instructions that came with the fetch box...

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

Ok. That all makes sense.

Is it wifi to your phone or 3G / 4G? I'm assuming wifi and that also sounds good. Can you use your phone to get to 

https://www.ozspeedtest.com/     also try      http://www.speedtest.net

See how fast your connection is over the wifi? (Note it will chew though 10-50Mb of data)

The good news is your issue is probably not the Fetch Box but the powerpoint plugs. These plugs use your electrical wires to transmit internet signals and a connection from upstairs to downstairs may well be dodgy.

After you've tested the wifi on the phone upstairs run the same test on the phone (over wifi) with the phone sitting near the FetchTV box (in the cabinet if it is in one)

What speeds do you get there?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Meliss

Yes, Optus had me run the speed tests too over one of our long calls.  Ive just done the speed tests 3 times upstairs over wifi to get 6, 11.2 and 11.3 Mbps and downstairs on top of the fetch box over wifi to get 8.3, 9.3, 9 Mbps. 

The other link returned line speed downstairs of 2.75, 3 and 2.9 Kbps; download 343, 378 and 358 Kbps. Upstairs line speed 3, 3.3 and 3.4 kbps; download 374, 414 and 432 kbps.

Thanks heaps 

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

So wifi appers to be giving pretty good speeds to the Fetch box. We don't yet have a way of finding out what speeds the ethernet of power plugs are providing.

I suggest going in to the FetchTV wifi settings and setting up a connection to your modem that way (unplug the ethernet cable). 

See if that improves your Fetch performance. If it doesn't you can always just turn off the wifi on the Fetch and plug the ethernet back in.

Seperate from that is it feasible to run a 25m ethernet cable from the modem to the fetch box direct? You can drill a hole in skirting boards and drop cable down through the walls /floor?  If you're handy? Cable costs about $15 from MSY. Could poke it outside the house, down the wall, under the floor and back up? 

But you might find going to wifi solves most of your issues anyway.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

petergdownload

PS There is a diagnostics option in the SETTINGS menu of the FetchTV box.

Before you change anything perhaps run those to see what they report.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
51 Kudos
32 Kudos
23 Kudos
13 Kudos
9 Kudos