Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Fetch tv guide

FETCH TV GUIDE HAS CHANGED. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHY IT HAS GONE FROM WHITE BACKGROUND TO A BLACK BACKGROUND WITH WHITE TEXT. IT IS HARDER FOR ME TO READ. CAN IT BE CHANGED BACK?"

14 Replies
Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

Re: Fetch tv guide

Hi

I don't know why it has changed but I like it. 

My vote is to keep it as a dark background.

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Mine has too - not very user friendly please Optus change it back

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@Davelew   I think you will find you will be in the minority as replies come in. Normal graphic design rules will tell you white text on black is never as crisp as black on white and all the divider lines that compartmentalise everything nicely are dark black on black so almost invisible. This is based on studies going back decades. For example, Bauer and Cavonius (Improving the legibility of visual display units through contrast reversal 1980 ) found that participants were 26% more accurate in reading text when they read it with dark characters on a light background. In fact most studies have found that dark characters on a light background are superior to light characters on a dark background. In addition it has been shown that people with astigmatism (aproximately 50% of the population) find it harder to read white text on black than black text on white. They experience a fuzziness to the text known as "halation" caused by the deformation of their lens(es). So, Optus you are basically disregarding 50% of the population and making it harder for them to read the screen. This could lead to further aggravation of sight issues and an inevitable flood of complaints. And all because nobody there did the research....Typical.

Dave, you should ask for an option then if you think you prefer it, but whilst you may like it at first glance,  just wait until you have had to use it for a while. 

OPTUS, ACKNOWLEDGE THE MOUNTAINS OF RESEARCH ON THIS TOPIC AND CHANGE IT BACK AND PREVENT UNDUE EYE STRAIN. AND DO IT NOW, NOT PROCRASTINATE LIKE THE YOUTUBE ISSUE.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@Davejb  What's the bet Optus blames Fetch and tries to wash its hands of the matter.

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Yes maybe but if they read your previous post they may get the message - well researched.  If it is a Fetch thing then other providers will also be receiving irate customer posts.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Well said khun.  I don't think fetch really thought it through. Or atleast give customers a option to change the background or colour of text.  

Although I don't mind the new layout I prefer the previous one for the epg. 

So optus listen to your customers 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@Faceplant  Yes, an option would be the best course of action. Those who prefer a dark background and do not have astigmatism (or do but don't care about the effect) can choose it whilst everyone else can remain on the "default" scheme. Not a difficult programming task...but then again, nor was adding the YouTube App and that took over a year to fix.

Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Its because of the latest software update we recieved a couple of days ago, It's a shocker the guide is definatley harder to read.

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Same here, rubbish design. Told they upgraded ( could have fooled me) it's like watching the old black and white tv. He told me after I had a go that it has had some complaints but will take 2 months to change.