cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Fetch tv and Entertainment pack now not included

Had to swap from Optus Cable to Nbn, not Optus’s fault just what had to happen. Lost my “Foxtel from Optus” also but OK realise they weren’t going to provide that service. However, now Optus have taken my Entertainment Pack from being included in my plan to not included and I have to pay for it, an extra $15. Not happy Jan. I had to change to a lower package to avoid any extra costs. When I signed up to the NBN package I was told everything would stay the same, well suppose it did for 6 weeks. Anyway I will now start moving all my email accounts to a Gmail or something similiar so just like electricity I can switch easily when I find a better deal and not be worried about email addresses. Sorry Optus loyalty works both ways. Actually not sorry but did expect better.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Fetch tv and Entertainment pack now not included

The NBN definitely restructures the internet. Its being called a once in a lifetime shake up. Not just for customers but also for wholesalers like Optus who used to own the cables and so could make their own deals.

Mostly its for the better. For one thing you now have choice. Not just Optus or Telstra but every ISP out there (once you do the highly recommended transfer of your email). But one downside is particular to old cable users. We've essentially had the NBN for over a decade now. We have been a lucky few. The NBN won't bring such immeadiate boosts that 75% of the rest of the country will get now they can also be effectively cable users. But its still pretty sweet:

1) Upload speeds are now 40x what they used to be

2) Download Speeds are only going to get higher 

3) Perhaps most importantly, the nation can stop designing online services around the lowest common denominator (i.e. 1 Mbps) and now design for 50 Mbps +.

All that said, the price points have changed. Probably $10-$20 more for most people to pay this thing off. Look around, find a plan athat suits your needs (other providers provide FetchTV, or buy a refurbished one from JBHiFi etc.)

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Peter, all too true. Consumers need to change the way use the internet so suppliers work for them not the other way around.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor SuzieG
Occasional Contributor

That's a worry Ross61.  We have the Entertainment Package for free at the moment so will be furious if they remove that.  It's disgraceful they are allowed to change details of their plans when we are signed up for a 24-month contract and have to pay a penalty if we want to leave but they can apparently do whatever they want.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@SuzieG ,

The NBN is a bit of a one off disruption. In fairness to Optus there entire operation has changed behind the scenes. This is as beyond there control as is the fact you must move to the NBN too. So price points and technical capabilty have changed. 

Personally I would have been very happy if the governament had viewed the NBN as a boon for the entire nation and put it in the budget and paid for it out of our taxes etc. Instead (both parties) decided it was best to keep it off books (i.e. not in the budget) and run it as a profitable enterprise (which is essentially impossible when you've got to roll out $50 billion of infrastructure before you start getting most of your paying customers). As a result everyone is paying about $10-$20 more for the foreseeable future. (Which might translate to Fetch Packs not included for free)

When the NBN arrives in your area, Optus will simply end any contract (it can't provide the internet anymore without you signing a new contract and it can't force you to sign a contract.) You'll need to look around and decide what is the best value most useful plan for you. That might be at Optus or maybe elsewhere.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos