Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Fetch mighty reception

Hi, newly come to optus and have a mighty box. The FTA reception goes glitchy every single day numorous times a day. My other TV works fine and when I take the antenna out of the fetch and plug straight into the tv it also works fine. Only problem is with the FTA channels as internet is fine. I did call optus who had me scan the tv again and said it can happen from time to time, monthly, and I was to rescan each time. Given the above and the regularity that this is happening I feel it is a fault with the box. Is this a faulty box? Note. I was told I had the latest box.

Thanks 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Fetch mighty reception

Numerous people have this problem. I think it just has a marginal TV decoder in it. Amplification might work if you do it at the masthead.

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Does it have to be off the masthead or will it work with an internal amplifyer?

I am just thinking of cost; I would also need to get a passive powered one.

It is annoying optus would not just make something that does the job to the same level as a TV.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

The Fetch itself is moderately capable of amplifying the signal, but when it does, it introduces noise. The masthead amp catches the signal before it has been degraded down the cable. If it's a high quality masthead amp, then you should get two improvements. Note that signal loss through normal RG59 TV cable is fairly low over 10m distances. A high quality internal amp may beat the crappy Fetch amplifier..

As you say it's a marginal situation, so you only need a small improvement. Another approach is to tune your antenna a bit better using signal level diagnostics that might be in your TV.

I don't know what a passively powered amp is. Is it like free energy?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Turns out it did not fix the problem. It still freezes daily. I will try and contact potus again but I think I'll just have to cancel contract if I can and go with telstra if the issue is just a poor quality product.

0 Kudos