Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor LarterStyles
Occasional Contributor

Fetch crashes when exiting Netflix

The following odd behaviour only happens once every week or two:

- When starting the Netflix app, the screen goes black for 10-15 seconds before starting/showing the Netflix menu

- When the Netflix app is then next exited (i.e. the next time I return to the Fetch menu after experiencing this “delayed” startup), the screen goes black and stays black/unresponsive indefinitely

- The only way to fix this is to turn the Fetch box off and on again at the wall (to force a reboot, as the Exit, Back and Menu buttons all have no effect)

This intermittent “crashing” has been occurring for the last year, so it’s clear it’s not something Fetch is aware of, or is being addressed as part of the firmware updates.

Has anyone else seen this same behaviour?

Tags (2)
20 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Fetch crashes when exiting Netflix

It's not a widespread issue (your the first to post about this here) however Fetch and Netflix occasionally have done issues. 

Possibly is related to your HDMI cable or tv. Hard to diagnose when it sounds fairly rare. At this stage perhaps change your fetch and Netflix resolution down to 1080p. If you have a second HDMI cable also try swap that in.

Petey Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi Pete,

The Fetch box doesn’t even turn off  when it’s in a “crashed” state (i.e. when the screen is black and I hit the power button on the remote, the lights remain blue indefinitely), so I don’t think this is a cable issue.

Furthermore, if I turn the Fetch power off then on again without touching the cable, it plays fine after a reboot. Plus, this ALWAYS only happens when starting/exiting Netflix, which would also indicate this is a software issue.

This has happened twice again this weekend.

Nick

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi @LarterStyles ,

All good information but if your issue was a software one then you would only be one of 1000's of people posting about it. Its more likely to be a software issue related to your particular Netflix / hardware setup. The intermitency might suggest a handshake issue with the TV, Fetch, HDMI Cable and Netflix settings. As Netflix is also one of the few apps capable of 4K streaming check your settings in Fetch and Netflix.

I can only suggest you try change each of those item in turn (make the Fetch unit the last one) and see if anything shakes loose. 

0 Kudos
New Contributor Fattabbot
New Contributor

I seem to be having the same issue - no input works. I can turn the TV on and off with the fetch remote, but nothing else. Fetch box is flashing blue every time I push a button, so the remote is working, which suggests it's a problem with the box itself.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Same issue @Fattabbot ? With Netflix?

You could try a soft reset (no files are lost)

1. Press the menu button (paw button on older remote controls) on your remote control to access the Fetch menu.
  2. Use the arrow buttons to navigate to Manage.
  3. Press the menu button on the remote control to select Settings.
  4. Use the arrow buttons to navigate to Device Info. Press the down arrow to navigate to Restart Interface or Restart STB, then press the menu button. The set top box will then reboot.

Also perhaps check your remote batteries.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi Pete,

Thanks again for your input. FYI, the steps you’ve provided are actually for a system reboot, not a soft factory reset

— there’s a different option for this.

I’ve rebooted the box this way many times over the last few weeks, to no avail. Admittedly, if I get the first 10-15 second “delay” when accessing Netflix, then reboot the box, the box doesn’t crash indefinitely the next time Netflix is opened/closed. It’s just not a long term fix though, as it occurs again a few days later.

I haven’t tried a factory reset yet, as I really didn’t want to lose my channels and other confirmation if possible.

Cheers,

Nick

PS: I can confirm that my settings are on 1080p, I’ve also switched out my HDMI cable, but will need to wait a few days to see if this has had any effect.

Occasional Contributor

I’m still getting this issue. It doesn’t appear to have a simple fix (e.g. reboot or settings change), so just wondering what the process is to escalate this to Fetch support?

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi larterstyles,

We may have a third example here.

If you contact Fetch they will likely refer you back to your ISP.

As a starting point, I would suggest to please Chat with us. Maybe the technical support team have spoken to other customers who have contacted them about it recently.

Let us know how you go. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor RFBurns
Occasional Contributor

I'm having the exact same issue, it's only related to Net...

I'm having the exact same issue, it's only related to Netflix, the Fetch box works flawlessly if Netflix isn't used, I've had it crash & need to power off (at the wall) reboot twice now in the last week.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors