Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
mellimac
New Contributor
New Contributor

Fetch box overheating and losing free to aid

Today I was watching tv when my fetch box restarted itself then wouldn't play free to air channels. It was hot to touch, so I turned it off for 10 minutes then restarted it. I scanned for channels but it failed. Has anyone experienced this? How do i fix it?

The antenna works when plugged into the tv directly. It's strange that it's been fine until it restarted itself today.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Tuong_YC

Re: Fetch box overheating and losing free to aid

Hey @mellimac, that's certainly not what you want for you. By any chance was your Fetch set top box connected via the Ethernet cable provided? Generally speaking, an Ethernet connection almost always provides both a stronger and more reliable service removing the hardware's need to use Wi-Fi,

Just in case you have not done so already as well, if you could try doing a Soft Reset that would be much appreciated. 

Should you continue to have issues, I would recommend having a chat to our Messenger teams whom will be able to look into your services and advise further. Our teams are available 24/7 via the Optus App   

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
mellimac
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I am using a Ethernet cable. And have done a reset on the box after talking to optus tech last night. Im able to get online channels, but not free to air channels. The who FTA channel list has been deleted and I can get them back. Tbe antenna port on the fetch box is super hot to touch too. I've also tried a booster, which didn't help either. Very frustrating.
0 Kudos
Ness_YC

We appreciate you resetting your set-top box and speaking with the Technical Support Crew, @mellimac. Sorry for the frustration caused. To prevent overheating please ensure that there is sufficient airflow (about 5cm) around to Fetch box and check that nothing is blocking the ventilation slots or that it is not tightly packed in with other electrical devices or exposed to direct sunlight/other sources of heat. 

I would suggest unplugging your Fetch box completely again and leaving it for 30 minutes at least to cool. If it overheats again (despite ventilation and airflow), I suspect that it may indicate a hardware fault. In this case, please reach out to our 24/7 Messaging Team and we can arrange for a replacement to be sent out to you. 

In regards to your Free To Air issues, we have a step-by-step troubleshooting guide I would suggest checking that the channels have not been hidden and that you re-scan the channels once or twice more. 

You can retune all free-to-air channels by going to Main Menu > Manage > Settings > Channels

If issues persist, our Technical Support Team is ready to assist via the My Optus App. Good luck!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Tuong_YC
"By any chance was your Fetch set top box connected via the Ethernet cable provided?"

Can I suggest you stop giving this generic advice? Ethernet cabling has nothing to do with over heating or FTA reception. Its great to want to help but not when you don't understanding the issue yourself.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@mellimac

Electronic goods shouldn't be getting that hot. As Ness says it probably indicates a hardware fault (and possibly a dangerous one). I wouldn't leave it plugged in unattended at this stage.

If the unit is continuing to heat up after being turned on then as mentioned just request a replacement and Optus will send it out.
mellimac
New Contributor
New Contributor

@petergdownload

I definitely agree that it shouldn't be overheating. It's especially hot near the antenna port, even without the antenna plugged in. I've ensured it has enough ventilation, so that's not the issue. I'll be contacting Optus for a replacement.
0 Kudos
mellimac
New Contributor
New Contributor

@Ness_YC

There's definitely enough ventilation, so that's not the issue. The area where the antenna port is seems to be hottest, even when the antenna isn't plugged it. As I've explained, this issue wasn't happening until yesterday after the box restarted itself and lost FTA channels. I think I'll just have to request a replacement. Thanks for your assistance
0 Kudos
Ness_YC

You're most welcome, @mellimac! Enjoy the rest of your week. 

Top Contributors