Searching...

Fetch box - blue internet light turns on and stays on

Markythesparky

Hi guys,

My Fetch Mighty box is relatively new. I've noticed that sometimes when the box is in standby mode (red light on the far right) the internet light in the middle will come on (blue colour), and stay on. Sometimes this happens after a program has finished recording (and no others are scheduled), and sometimes it just comes on out of nowhere. 

I understand the Fetch box 'calls home' occasionally to receive updates and info - and when this happens I assume the blue internet light would be on - but I also assume this would only be a quick process? The blue light can stay on for at least a couple of hours at a time, and sometimes only goes away when I take the box out of standby and turn it off again. Happens at least a couple of times a day.

Anyone else see the same thing?

Re: Fetch box - blue internet light turns on and stays on

Dan_C

Hmm, maybe one of our other contributors can offer a bit more insight.

As far as I'm aware, the blue light simply signifies that the set top box has a broadband connection. 

I understand the Fetch box 'calls home' occasionally to receive updates and info - and when this happens I assume the blue internet light would be on - but I also assume this would only be a quick process?

I think you're on the right track. According to the FAQ's taken directly from the Fetch site.

"Your Fetch box should be left on standby mode when you are not using it. This enables it to receive updates and action any recordings you may have scheduled. If you disconnect the power source your box will be unable to receive new updates or action recordings." 

What's your main concern here, is it that the box is using more power than it should in standby mode? 

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

***Please note I am not currently with the Yes Crowd team.***

This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Markythesparky

Thanks Dan. I guess my concern is that something just isn't 'right' with the box. Maybe it's faulty. And now that you mention it, yes - it could be using more power than needed. The blue light does indeed mean there is a connection, but my understanding is that it should only be lit when the connection is being used (ie when the box is actively doing something).  The rest of the time it should be unlit. It is currently unlit now, for example, while the box is doing nothing in standby, with just the red standby light on. But this morning when I got up the internet light was blue - and stayed that way for at least two hours, until I turned the box on then put it back in standby.

Definitely interested if anyone else experiences this, and if there is a solution (or if it needs to be fixed in the first place)

Dan_C

Hmm, I've monitored our office Fetch set top box over the past hour or so. Once placed in standby mode both the power and internet light remain red. 

I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days and see whether I notice the same.

Hopefully we have someone come through that can offer a bit of insight from their own experience. 

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

***Please note I am not currently with the Yes Crowd team.***

This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

LouisaP

I have this problem too, where I turn tv and fetch box off of a night, and only have red infrared light.  Then BOOM in the middle of the night when I am asleep the room is lit up with the blue light.  I am less concerned about the electicity a tiny light will use than the light it creates in my bedroom.  

How do I stop the blue light coming on?  It is very bright in a bedroom.  I cover it up, but then the remote won't work, so I am up and down like with an old tv where you had to manually change the channels.

I have a new box, only a month old.  

AlexRH

Hey @LouisaP, there'd be no way to cover/remove up the blue light within your settings, sorry Smiley Sad This is a feature on your Fetch unit to confirm power connectivity. 

If the light is really bugging you, you can try switching it off at the power point of an evening.

Hope this helps! 

LouisaP

Hi - in response to your answer - the blue light does go OFF.  In fact right now, it is just the little red light on.  BUT then in the middle of the night the blue light comes on.  If I press the on/off button, it all lights up blue, then the blue lights go off, and it reverts back to just the red light only.  

As feedback, it is a silly system.  Perhaps the blue light that is coming on to auto update or whatever, should be hidden.  We don't need to see this.  My old box didn't do this for years, it is just something new that seems to be happening.  I have rang, but your customer service is near impossible to get hold of with no published phone numbers of the OPTUS website.  

It is very frustrating.  

In addition, the service is dropping in and out now, with every program I watch dropping out and the message saying "lost connection" or something along those lines. 

Do you have a phone number to customer service?

Tano

Appreciate your feedback here @LouisaP, can appreciate how a bright light in the middle of the night can be a little distracting :/

For your reference, Tech Support is available directly on 131344, or via Live Chat.

Happy to take a look and help through here: when you lose connection on your Fetch STB, are you noticing a loss of connection across other devices as well, or is it isolated to the box? Feel free to send through a private message if you want to run through some troubleshooting and for us to check the service through here.

Celticvoice6

I recently got a new Fetch box and modem/router. The old ones were pretty old. With the new box, sometimes the blue light is on for no reason. I wondered if the box was updating itself. We have had issues with drop outs with the internet too. 

Shauna

Hey @Celticvoice6 - a Fetch upgrade has recently been pushed to devices, this could be what it is. 

With regards to your internet, how often to the drop outs occur? 

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
48 Kudos
30 Kudos
22 Kudos
13 Kudos
10 Kudos