Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Highlighted
New Contributor Krudler
New Contributor

Fetch box after internet cancellation

Hi Everyone.

I'm posting here to see if anyone has been in a simialr situation as i've got conflicting answers from Optus reps. My home internet entertainment bundle contract has ended and as TPG have built fibre to my apartment. Optus unfortunatly cannot compete as the ADSL2 service can only obtain 3Mbps vs TPGs 90Mbps (apart from the poor speed i was happy with Optus, i know its not their fault as i live a bit far from the exchange and i would get similar low speeds regardless of ISP). In the process of cancelling the Optus service I'm trying to find out if I can keep the Fetch Box.

Optus live chat rep stated I can keep it if i pay $250 no return fee (which Im happy to do) and if it stops working i will be refunded the $250 if I send it back to the Optus warehouse.

Optus fetch phone rep stated the box will stop working once I cancel my internet service.

I'm fine with not having the movie box and optus sport services attached the the fetch box, I just want to keep the fecth box to record TV, watch netflix and use the free to air catch up apps, so has anyone been in a similar situation and what ended up happening?

Cheers.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Fetch box after internet cancellation

My understanding is it would almost completely stop working. I say almost because I THINK you can still record free to air but the EPG (TV Guide) doesn't work without an active Optus service along with a lot of other things.

My advice would be to buy 1 outright from Harvey Norman so it's not tied to any service provider. Yes you'll be paying more upfront but you'll get a fully functional PVR and wouldn't need to worry about Optus suddenly changing their mind in the future - https://www.harveynorman.com.au/fetch-mighty-pvr.html

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Moderator Shauna

Hey @Krudler - Thanks for reaching out.

If you cancel your fixed connection with us, this will automatically deactivate your Fetch STB, rendering the box unusable. 

As @SamSam suggested, we'd suggest purchasing a box outright. I hope this clarifies! 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor haroon
Occasional Contributor

Not the OP but in similar situation.

What happens to my recorded content after I cancel my Optus subsciption? Also since I have already paid for the box, shouldn't I be able to get Optus lock removed from it?

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi Haroon,

You are actually leasing the Fetch box from Optus. This is taken from the T&Cs:

Buying TV and movie content gives you a non-transferable right to use that content, provided you maintain your Fetch service. If you cancel your Fetch service, you will lose any purchased content. You may only use the recording functionality of the service for viewing programs at your nominated home address at a more convenient time.

Optus owns the Fetch set top box. You must return it following cancellation of the service. Fees apply for late return or damage ($150 Fetch Mini, $200 Fetch Mighty).

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos