cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Fetch TV will not stream IVIEW

Hi, my Fetch TV just suddenly stopped streaming catchup TV. I tried rebooting, soft reset and now it will stream all catchups except iview. Keeps saying !Streaming issue. Please check internet. 

Internet fine, diagnostics fine, software updated during soft reboot, netflix working.

What gives ?

Someone please help before I chuck the stupid box out the window ... long live the TIVO!!!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Fetch TV will not stream IVIEW

The Tivo is dead. Long live the PVR (which in this case is the Fetch)

Have you considered iView may be having issues?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

The TIVO was a rock solid box with amazing picture quality. Fetch TV is a very fallible device that fails to impress in so many ways. Number 1 being FTA quality looks like I've taken my glasses off despite wearing them ... streaming / netflix not as bad. Repeatedly fails to show FTA vision after watching Netflix requiring reboot, randomly fails to record scheduled episodes ... I could go on ... promised so much,  delivers so litlle !!!

And yes thanks I checked Iview on my desktop computer and it's fine .... just on Fetch !!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

You're talking about the digital Tivo that was sold briefly in Oz. It was a great machine. I enjoyed the analogue Tivo for the decade prior. Might be time to move on? IME the Fetch box is the closest option to the Tivo yet available. If your box is temperamental then ask Optus to send out a replacement. You're leasing it. But image quality across all PVRs only differs slightly. I would look into settings and connections first to see if you can't improve it.

FWIW I just checked iView on my Fetch and its working fine. 

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Unfortunately, I was forced to move on from the TIVO, despite having no issues and a lifetime guarantee, due to TIVO Australia's withdrawal of the EPG, which rendered it useless. I live in hope that someone will hack it to accept another EPG!

I did my research as to what to replace it with and Fetch seemed to tick all boxes. I was disappointed from the moment I saw the FTA quality. As a 28 year veteran of the Film/TV/IT industry I know about picture quality, compression artefacts, ts streams etc and whatever the fetch does to them is appalling. No meaningful adjustments are available. I did a side by side comparison with the TIVO, Bravia TV and the Fetch and the picture is very soft. i.e. When watching an AFL match I can read the score without my glasses on the TIVO and Bravia but on the Fetch I have to put them on or ask someone. This issue has also been documented many times on forums such as this and whirlpool with no solutions found.

Another other inexcusable programming glitch with the Fetch is despite supposedly having 6 available FTA recording slots it still drops 20-80 second chunks of vision when recording separate programs back to back on the same channel !!!!!!! 

The idea of the Fetch is fantastic but it's execution is riddled with quirks and inadequacies that drive me to distraction.

Having said that Iview is now working again ... just 12 hours and a whole lot of frustration too late.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Yeah, the Tivo was the biz (nostalgia sigh) Smiley Happy

You're obviously a fine wine connoisseur of picture quality. I don't watch much FTA but I agree the Fetch does look pretty soft and resolution is down a notch. The back to back issue is a common problem for PVRs for some reason. I had a couple of models that just failed the second timer if you did it. My personal gripe with the Fetch PVR is that it doesn't support HDMI passthrough on many amps. So you can't send the sound to your speaker system only the TV directly.

Good to hear the iView is back up. I'd still think it must have been something to do with the feed itself but the jury is still out on that one.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Top Contributors