Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Occasional Contributor McDad
Occasional Contributor

Fetch TV streaming issue

I have been getting streaming issues since early Feb 2017. Having had many painful dealings over the phone with your overseas support centre I have to say they are pretty hopeless. My Fetch box has been replaced to no avail. We have checked the internet speed. It's 100Mbps. On my last dealing with the support centre I was told there was a known software issue with the Fetch box. It was to be fixed 2 days from 2 days ago. Apparantly the software is going to fix itself. I don't have to do anything. I don't have to initiate a software/firmware upgrade or reboot. Is is safe to say I have been lied to.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
RetiredModerator AlexRH
RetiredModerator

Re: Fetch TV streaming issue

Hey @McDad, really sorry to hear that you've had this many issues with your Fetch 😞 Totally understand that this is frustrating.

Does the streaming error go away when you reboot your Fetch?

Can you please go to Menu > Manage > Settings > Device Info > Options > Fetch TV Restart and reboot it that way, from there, can you let us know if this helps?

Do you have it connected via WiFi or Ethernet? 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Rebooting doesn't help. I've tried reboots and soft factory reset to no avail. Support centre even sent out a new box which resulted in a cold start and reload of software updates. Got "streaming issue" straight away. I've just done another reboot. Still getting "streaming issue". I might add that I only get the problem when first trying to establish a connection with a channel. After flicking through channels for a while it eventually works. Once a connection is established it works flawlessly until I try and change channels.

Connection is ethernet.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
New Contributor Tara0905
New Contributor

Hi,

i have just posted about the same issue and im also having my recordings stop for no reason aswell. 

The system really needs to be looked at is it the fetch tv connections or the Internet connections. 

Tara

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator AlexRH
RetiredModerator

Hmm 😞 That's really frustrating @McDad, did you have a fault ref # at all? More than happy to chase it up for you and have a chat with our Fetch team.

@Tara0905 Can you please confirm how you have your Fetch unit connected? Have you raised this with our Faults team at all for further investigation? It does seem like a software issue 😞 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Despite having had many conversations with the support centre I don't have a fault reference number. Their main focus is ending the phone call, not providing continuity between calls or helping move closer to a solution. The only number I have is the order number associated with them sending me a new Fetch box. That number is 14093053

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@McDad, have you made any changes to the settings of the modem at all? Is the Ethernet cable direct to the modem or have you got a powerline adapter in the setup there? -Scott

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi Scott_M. Absolutely nothing changed at the time the problem started occuring. So no changes to modem at all. The Fetch TV box is connected to a downstream router acting as an access point. So there is a 1 Gb/sec link from main modem/router to downstream router. Fetch box is connected by ethernet cable to downstream router. This configuration has been working flawlessly for almost 2 years until early February this year.

0 Kudos
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@McDad, If they've replaced the STB with the same results so there must be something that's change. It may be the firmware although you'd expect more reports of this if that's the case. Have you tried different Cat5/6 cables?

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

I have tried changing the network tails but it's difficult to change the main trunk line between router/modem and downstream router because it's inhouse wiring. By suggesting that the Cat of the cable may be the problem you are alluding to speed as being the issue. I really don't think speed is the issue here. Firstly, I have done a few internet speed tests from the router port used by the STB all the way back to the Optus speed test server (as well as other speed test servers). The speed I get is a consistent 100Mb/sec. Secondly, this was working flawlessly for almost 2 years. I didn't change anything, including cables, when it started playing up in early Feb. Thirdly, the symptoms don't suggest that speed is the issue. I have trouble establishing a connection with a channel. Once a connection is established it works flawlessly until I change channel. If speed was the issue you would expect it to play up mid stream. It never, ever does. It can run for hours without missing a beat.

To me the symptoms suggest that this is a server issue. There is either a bandwidth or load issue on the Fetch servers. That's why they don't always like giving me a connection. Do the Fetch servers report on the number of rejected or failed connections?

0 Kudos