Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
PatK
New Contributor
New Contributor

Fetch TV recordings transfer to USB stick or PC

Just wonder if it is possible to transfer a recording made on Fetch TV to a usb stick or external HD please?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Fetch TV recordings transfer to USB stick or PC

Not possible, sorry.

You can get a fetch mini ($5 a month from Optus) an play content on both machines in two rooms. 

Regards

Peter Gillespie

hoggypig
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hey,

If your PC is connected to the same network as your Fetch TV box and has network and file sharing, you should be able to see your files in Windows Media Player.

Underneath any existing playlist and music on your computer, the STB xxx.xxx.x.x folder should appear in the 'Other Libraries' section. If you expand this and go to 'Videos', you should be able to see all your recorded TV.

You can then play through media player,.

OR

Right click on the file and choose properties. Copy and paste the 'location' to a web browser and it will download the file. It will say file incomplete or failed, but just change the extension to .tss and you should be able to playback through VLC player or similar.

0 Kudos
Mickmick78
New Contributor
New Contributor

I've downloaded my recordings but not sure how to change extention to .tss

I'm using mac if that makes any difference.

Thanks

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Its still unlikely you will be able to play the files (let us know if you do), but perhaps get a program to analyse the file type to find out what can play it etc. Like these?

A few codecs can be enabled just by changing the extension but most will need to be converted by a proper program.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

torcrot
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi all interested parties

I have been wanting to save some of my FetchTV recordings to my network, as I want to move to a less expensive Internet plan sometime soon.

Looking at the above replies I was able to stumble upon a method that worked for me, to copy a recording off the Fetch box onto a PC (in this instance my laptop, I haven't tried it on my desktop system yet).

Also I did this using Directory Opus (Highly Recommended app by the way) - I can't say it will work with Windows File Explorer.

The Fetch shows up under Network Locations. I Right-clicked on a file and chose "Open With" in the menu -- VERY IMPORTANT to choose this option, and then select VLC media player (already installed on this PC)

The file then saves to a location like: C:\Users\Your_name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\IE\EFXP6G7C

While it is copying you can click on the destination folder - in this case \EFXP6G7C and see the saving file. Once it is copied VLC opens the file and plays it, but it is also possible to go back to Directory Opus and save it to a permanent location on your PC or network..

I recommend this is done immediately as it may not remain in this location once VLC is closed.

I would of course rather open the Fetch box, remove the HDD and transfer them directly, but from my research this seem to be difficult/illegal/impossible according to where you look Smiley Happy

Hope this helps, any questions gladly received in the forum...

torcrot in Canberra

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@torcrot

Superb Smiley Happy Thanks for sharing.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

torcrot
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks.

One critical EDIT to my previous post:

It is important to click on the Destination Shortcut (The Blue link shown in image below - in this instance QD81P9VX) while the file is transferring, otherwise the destination 'folder' is impossible to locate.

Also, it is important to copy the .tts file from the destination to a permanent location while VLC is playing it, as it is only available during the time VLC is playing it.

Copy file from STB to VLC.PNG

torcrot in Canberra

MJB32
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hello PatK

Yes it is possible.

Using Win10 I had problems copying files. They would copy to 99% and then stop. I finally found a solution on one of the Whirlpool forums. Here are the steps I took. This is on a Win10 PC with a hardwired Ethernet connection to the Fetch box but it should work over WiFi as well.

Open Windows Media Player
Locate the Fetch TV box on your network - it will show up as STB 192.168.0.10 or something similar
Click on this location
Click on Videos, then All Videos and find the wanted file
Right click on that file and view 'Properties'
Copy the URL location of the file which is at the beginning of 'Location' and looks like this - http://192.168.0.10:49152/web/4243106 or similar

Then Open VLC
Go to Media>Open Capture device.
In the network tab paste in the copied URL
Select Convert from the bottom right dropdown list in the Capture Device Tab
Select Dump Raw Input
Open the Browse Dialogue and find the location where to save the file on the PC
Type in a desired file name with a .ts extension, and save that
Click Start.

The progress bar at the bottom of VLC will go back and forward while it is 'converting' but actually all it is doing is downloading the file in its original format.

The saved file will then play in VLC and can be converted to other formats if needed.

Hope this helps.

Spider
New Contributor
New Contributor

Tried this a few times, but when the file downloaded, it kept on starting again. Abandoned this method.

0 Kudos