We got our fetch tv set top box yesterday and we set everything up, however after about an hour we noticed channel 10 breaking up. We switched channels to 7, NINE, ABC and they all worked fine however channel 10 affiliated channels like ONE and 11 were breaking up as well. This morning I tried to fix the issue and did a full channel scan which then removed channel 10, ONE and 11. I tried getting them back but nothing has worked. I also did a reboot and this didn't work either.
We had someone come by last Friday to install our phone and internet and he had to connect a new cable to the telephone pole as someone cut the previous one before we came.
Does anyone know how to fix this issue?
Hey SophieBea. Sorry to hear you've had issues with your Yes TV by Fetch service 😞 You've done the right thing by performing a channel scan and reboot. The cable cut and re-run shouldn't impact this particular part of the service either. Did you have any issues with these channels before you connect
Very Strange 😞 I guess that rules out an antenna issue then. Have you ensured that the antenna cable that runs from the Fetch box to the wall socket is secure? Giving the cables a little twist in the socket can also help with these sort of faults.
I've got channel 10 and affiliated channels back after removing the antenae cable and blowing on it and the port, however I've just checked the channel quality for 10 and the signal strength bar is just under 75% and the signal quality bar is at around 30% but this changes to about 10% at times. Ten is a channel we often watch so it's a bit frustrating.
I am also having the same issue, when we manage to pick up channel 10 and the other 10 channels all we get is a broken signal. Did a full channel scan and a box restart and still nothing
After moving to a new rental our fetch box has never worked correctly. I did replace the Antenna RF wall outlet with a new one as it was rusty and corroded. I did notice that the earth shielding was not soldered to the base plate on the back of the plate. after re-soldering the shielding on the back plate. The Fetch channel search went from 40 channels found to 60 channels found. this included all channels including 10 and ABC. It looks like the shielding is important for those channels. if you have tried everything else. this may be worth looking at. Fetch is now working with all channels.