Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor julesc
New Contributor

Fetch TV not connecting to internet

Hi

The internet connectivity light on our Fetch TV box has been red the last few days. This previously occurred intermittently and we were able to fix the issue by disconnecting the power to the box and/or resetting the modem. However, we have tried both of those things several times now without success.

The issue is not with the modem since all other devices in the house (e.g. computers, mobile phones) have WIFI access.

When I turn reconnect the power on the box, it says "preparing system ... please wait" but then it freezes.

I've attempted to call Optus technical support numerous times and on all occasions, I have waited for over 40min and the line has simply disconnected. Live chat is always unavailable because the "chat team are all busy". I sent an email with my account details and never got a response.

Any suggestions as to how to address the Fetch TV box issue and how to actually get some decent service from Optus?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
19 Replies
New Contributor Inti
New Contributor

Re: Fetch TV not connecting to internet

Hi there,

I have the same issue, re fetch Tv not connected.

the 40-50mins wait for tech support is painful, and when i have got through, its the usual "on.. off...restart...etc" Its not full proof.

I missed out on BBC's 'war and peace', because i was not able to record it.

Wifi connectivity is fine on mobiles and laptop.

The power point adaptor system is not reliable. What can you do Optus?

0 Kudos
Contributor FetchTVSupport
Contributor

Hello

Fetch TV support jumping in to help out.

Sorry to hear you're having issues.  If your internet is working fine and you are getting speeds of more than 3Mbps to your computer, but your box isn't picking up the internet then there is probably a connectivity issue between your modem and your box (especially if you are using PLAs).

Here's what we recommend you try:

1. Restart your modem

2. Turn your PLA devices off and on again. 

3. Turn your Fetch TV box off and on again.

If it still isn't showing internet connectivity:

1. Remove the ethernet cable going into the back of your Fetch TV box and plug it into your laptop

2. On your laptop go to http://speedtest.net/ and do a speed test (make sure you turn your wifi off - so your laptop is using the ethernet cable for the speed test)

3. This will tell you how many Mbps is getting from your modem to your Fetch box.  If the speed at your box is significatly lower than the speed at your modem then there is a connectivity issue.

4. You can check the PLA Troubleshooting Guide to see whether there's something in there that helps 

5. If you still can't fix the issue you will need assistance from Optus.

Hope you get your Fetch box up and running again soon.

Sue

Fetch TV Support

0 Kudos
Contributor belozzie
Contributor

I had a similar issue: wifi, ethernet and internet were all OK. The signal was entering the STB, but still no Internet connection. That was due to me chnaging from a direct ethernet link to a Powerline link. Restarting the STB etc did not help. I checked the IP settings and realised there was no IP address...so I reset the STB to factory settings and restarted the whole installation process...and it worked! Have you tried that?

0 Kudos
New Contributor Inti
New Contributor

Thanks all, 

Funny thing, last night i turned on my Fetch to see internet connection working and all programs very much working as it should. 

I did not have to troubleshoot etc. Its weird but am sure there is a technical reasoning behind this. Its a pain when its working 2 or 5 days then off for a 1 or so.

I will definitely try the speed test. And seek to have a 100% reliable service. 

Thanks again.

Contributor belozzie
Contributor

Good to hear. Optus is performing maintenance it seems and we also experienced Internet cuts every night.

0 Kudos
New Contributor julesc
New Contributor

All

I managed to speak to an Optus technician yesterday and they resolved the issue. The steps were:

1 Unplug and replug in powerline adaptors

2 Change the ethernet cable slot from ETH 1 to ETH 2

3 Turn off the modem

4 Turn off / unplug the Fetch TV box

5 Turn on the modem (ensure this is at least 5 - 10 seconds after turning it off under step 3)

6 Turn on the Fetch TV box

I'm not sure which step fixed the problem but the technician said that it is important that the Fetch TV box is only turned on against after you have turned off and turned on the modem (with the 5 - 10 second wait). He said something about resetting the IP address.

Hopefully the above steps work for others with this issue.

Cheers

Jules

0 Kudos
Contributor belozzie
Contributor

I had the displeasure to have no internet in Fetch again when I came home tonight: one of the DLink powerline adaptors is dead, no light, as if no power (and there is power in that plug). Not sure how this is possible after one day!

More than 30min wait to talk to Optus...I'll try later.

😞

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Contributor belozzie
Contributor

I received new Powerline adaptors, and after "saving" new IP settings (automatic), it worked.

I have no idea why the Powerline adaptors died..

Regards

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Hollie
RetiredModerator

Like any other piece of electrical equipment, sometimes they just stop working - usually at the most inconvenient times! Glad to hear it's all up and running for you now though.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos