cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Contributor MikeP
Contributor

Fetch TV - no TV signal on new Samsung TV with antenna pass-through.

Hello,

When setting up my new Samsung QLED TV (Q75R) I get a 'no signal' message when trying to load channels. I have the Samsung connected to the Fetch by HDMI and the antenna passing through the Fetch to the wall. I can access the channels through Fetch on its HDMI source but not on the Samsung live TV source. If I disconnect the antenna from the Fetch and connect the Samsung directly to the wall I can load the channels.

My previous Samsung (a 2008 LEDTV) was able to pass-through the antenna signal to allow watching digital channels on the TV source or the Fetch source. It would seem that this option is no longer available. 

Am I doing something wrong or does the new Samsung not allow this pass-through? 

Thank you, in advance, for any suggestions or feedback.

Mike

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Fetch TV - no TV signal on new Samsung TV with antenna pass-through.

I've never heard of an antenna signal being able to be passed through HDMI before but I would think your latest TV doesn't support this. I bought a new Samsung TV a year ago and it doesn't support this. 

If you really want to be able to access free to air on both devices, you can pick up an antenna splitter from kmart for $1-$2. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Both the TV and the Fetch box need to have their antenna plugs plugged into an aerial lead. When you plug the aerial into only the fetch unit that's where the signal stops (it doesn't keep going down the HDMI cable to the TV).
The live FTA TV aerial plugs in both units (TV and Fetch) can only read a signal from an actual aerial .

Some devices have an aerial out port (so you can continue the aerial lead from the back of that to the TV (essentially pass through).

Simplest solution for you as buy a $5 splitter. Plug the aerial from the wall plate in and then two fly leads (short aerial cables) into the back of both your boxes. Both units can then get FTA channels.

Note there's usually no big reason to watch FTA channels via the TV directly. Tune them into the Fetch unit and then everything is just watched using the Fetch remote via the HDMI cable.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Contributor MikeP
Contributor

Thank you for your help and suggestions.

The TV antenna connection was as per the Fetch instructions; the ariel wall socket connected with one cable to the Fetch 'Antenna In' then a second cable connected from 'Antenna Out' to the TV's 'antenna in' socket. I only used the Fetch for BBC First but at least there was the convenient option of using either the TV channels or Fetch channels for free-to-air. Unless I've made a mistake with my connections (all these cables!) this option seems to have gone with the new Samsung TV.

I'll try the splitter option you suggested. Thanks for that.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

The new Fetch boxes don't have an Antenna Out plug? Only a single HDMI plug.

Does yours?
0 Kudos
Contributor MikeP
Contributor

Thanks, everyone.

I've worked the connection thing out. The set-up is different from the old 'dumb' TV and doesn't require passing the antenna ariel connection through the Fetch. Just me being confused.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I'd be interested in your solution. Unless you have an aerial connection going into the back of both the TV and the Fetch you shouldn't be able to scan FTA TV channels to both devices. The standard way would be to only scan the channels on the Fetch and then watch FTA TV using the Fetch via the HDMI cable. Is that what you're doing?

Peter Gillespie
0 Kudos
Contributor MikeP
Contributor

Thank you, Peter.

I took the Fetch out of the antenna cable chain. It’s now connected to Ethernet and by HDMI to the TV. BBC First is available to watch on the Fetch and everything else on the Samsung. Works for me.

Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

All the channels not via FTA (2, 7, 9, SBS, 10, etc.) come via data streaming. SO FTA on the TV direct and all the Fetch Channels, Optus Sport, Netflix, etc. via the Fetch box.

Sounds like a good solution

Peter Gillespie
0 Kudos