Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Fetch TV glitching / freezing and pixelated - free to air

@Genna

I provide a link to a good amplifier at the start of the post. Plug it in besides the TV

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Xcelplus
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Here's a picture of our old Radio Shack amplifier/booster. It continues to work well even with digital TV. I get pixelation if it's not attached despite living relatively close to Melbourne and having the antenna on a tall pole which takes it well above the roof line.

It works just as well with a digital signal as it did with an analog one. We never bothered changing the antenna for a digital one... as we've tried some digital antennas and the signal got worst!

There is one cable in, two cables out... and a power cable i.e. Boosters are most commonly used when you're splitting the signal and feeding it to more than one device. We feed one cable to the TV and the other one goes to the Set Top Box (STB). The second cable is useful... but not essential.

MastheadAmp_20171017_171658.jpg

Genna
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Xcel & Peter 🙂

0 Kudos
SpotTheLizard
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Just a heads up - "leasing" a new Gen3 unit will cost you $99 (inc. GST) that you won't be told about until you receive your next account notice... and paperwork with new unit states that if you don't return the old box within a month, you will be charged a $200 "non-return" fee... something very wrong with their concept of "lease"

0 Kudos
Xcelplus
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

A few months ago we finally bit the bullet and bought a new 60" Bauhn 4K TV from Aldi.

We noticed that some of the problems we were having with the Fetch box disappeared.

The FetchTV box definitely locks up or plays up from time to time... but now it's easier to troubleshoot as it's not being compounded by the TV also playing up.

BTW: We've got the new Gen 3 FetchTV (Mighty) box... but Optus were nice about all the problems we were having and didn't charge us for upgrading it. I'm very happy with that solution... although it's annoying that a fairly basic box still manages to lock up from time to time. Usually you can still turn the box on and off via the remote... and if you do that a few times it starts working again. Seems to mostly happen if you're watching payTV and the bandwidth is a bit slim. It's like the box doesn't know what to do... so the instructions just keep building without being executed. If you wait long enough sometimes the box executes all the backlog of instructions (menu, back, exit, OK, move right, move left, etc...) in rapid succession. Mostly I don't want to wait that long (how long is a piece of string?). The power doesn't need to be disconnected... so anything taping probably isn't affected.

How hard is it to build a box that will respond to error conditions without locking up? There's obviously room for a better box?

🙂

0 Kudos
SillyGogo
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

@Xcelplus How is the internet speed generally? If you are getting good internet speed and the fetch box is still playing up then it could be the box. However, if the internet speed is not that great then my guess is connectivity issue where the fetch box having to constantly error correcting and causes delay in the processing of commands. 

If you  haven't done so, I would advise to a hard reset, please note that you will lose everything on the box. 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Xcelplus
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Not keen on the hard reset option as I'll lose any recordings. I don't mind if I'm upgrading to a new box... but it's not so attractive if it "might" fix a problem.

This most commonly happens when trying to watch Stan. I think Stan is having a problem because sometimes we get a red screen when trying to watch something... and the <back> button doesn't work. The only thing we can do is wait or turn the box on and off via the remote. If we do that and wait it usually starts responding again. The internet speed was ~80 Mbps last time I checked... so it's the box responding badly (to a Stan problem?) rather than the internet speeds causing a problem. I'm pretty sure it's related to loading at the Stan end rather than at the Optus end.

If it was just an error correction problem we should see recordings with pixilation? ...and there aren't any.

It happens when watching other programs too... so it's not just a Stan problem... although the Stan issue is very consistent (tends to happen in peak viewing times). 

🙂

0 Kudos
SillyGogo
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

I see your delema. I too wasnt keen on upgrading my box, because of all the recordings. Luckily the kids have moved on for the older shows. I found with external programs suchs STAN, Netflix, youtube etc, a Chromecast works very well, especially from Gen2 up. They are well priced, I reckon you will get alot more enjoyment out of watch shows. For me I only use the Fetch TV to watch paytv and recording kid shows. 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Xcelplus
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Mostly I find that after wiping the box it still plays up... so I've just wiped all my recordings and it hasn't fixed the problem.

It's been doing this kind of stuff since new... so I doubt that wiping stuff will help much.

Optus had me wipe a previous box once before with absolutely no improvement (didn't expect any)... so it's a last resort if you're really desperate.

It's not too bad. I'd be really annoyed if I had to pull the power each time the FetchTV played up (I had to do that on the last box)... but that isn't required so I'm reasonably happy with the status quo.

I only mentioned it in passing in case someone else had the same problem and hadn't worked out what to do about it.

Most stuff works way better with the new box.

I've considered a ChromeCast but didn't want yet another device... especially as it needs to work via a mobile or laptop... which my mum is not going to be able to use. I almost bought a smart TV for this reason... but the second most common failure on Smart TV's was the smart component... so decided to hook in a smart box and settle for a dumb TV with good specs (4K).

I was going to switch to Netflix and see if it had the same problem... as it's annoying to have a service you can't use some of the time.

🙂

0 Kudos
vikuty
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I too have been having these pixellation issues for almost 12 months but I already have the Mighty Fetch Box. I previously had the previous generation of box and never had any issues at all with that one but as soon as I got the Mighty the problems began. We now have intermittent pixellation on free to air channels which makes the TV un-viewable (if that's word) and while this generally only lasts a few seconds it's still very annoying. I have tried putting the antenna lead directly into the TV and there are no issues at all when I do this and bypass the fetch box. Having spoken on the phone to Optus technical support previously I was informed that the fetch box built-in tuner is likely struggling when trying to deal with a reduced strength antenna transmission, a transmission that the TV itself would easily deal with. Is this likely? Interestingly, the box is connected to the internet through a LAN cable and yet whenever the microwave oven is operated in the kitchen, the TV becomes pixellated: go figure. Anyone any idea what's going on? This is very annoying.

0 Kudos