Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor paulx
Occasional Contributor

Fetch TV glitching / freezing and pixelated - free to air

Hi all

Just recently I have been noticing a lot of glitching / freezing and pixelation (every few minutes) when watching free to air TV on the Fetch box. I have had the Fetch box for a year now with no real problems. Every now and again it goes slow or a little glitchy, but I have noticed it is worse lately. Nothing has changed with my setup. I have tried changing different HDMI cables between the TV and fetch box, different ethernet cable and aerial cable. Nothing makes any difference. If I switch back to direct TV it works fine. The aerial is still pugged into the Fetch box, I have just switched the AV to the TV source, so I suspect it isn't aerial related. I have done a soft reset on the fetch box, and recanned all the channels, but it still keeps happening. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, what was the outcome?

cheers

paul

0 Kudos
34 Replies
Crowd Champion SillyGogo
Crowd Champion

Re: Fetch TV glitching / freezing and pixelated - free to air

TV works fine with the tuner from your TV? Maybe take your fetchtv box to your neighbour and see if you are experiecing the same issue. Since direct TV works, then it is not your HDMI cable or Network cable. If you have a GEN2 box, then contact Optus for a replacement, I've been told that they are replacying the Gen2 box to the Mighty box. It could be a faulty tuner on the fetchtv or or the Fetchtv box has a lower cliff value due to a weaker signal to your area as mentioned by other member. Any new building or structure constructed in the area recently?

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

FTA TV is based on your your aerial reception. Digital TV is prone to the digital cliff. all equipment has a point where reception essentially fails. 1% or 2% better and you will get a perfect picture. You TV tuner may have a slightly better tuner than the Fetch TV. 

First thing as a test is to disconnect out the splitter (this halves signal strength). Just plug the arial into the Fetch TV and the HDMI cable in the TV. You should get a marked improvement?

Generally you don't need to have the TV tuner plugged in as the Fetch Box is a twin tuner and you can watch and record all you need via it. If you want to set up both devices then a powered booster splitter would probably be effective.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi Peter, when you say splitter, I'm assuming you are referring to the actual Fetch box itself, as it has an in and an out for the aerial?

cheers

paul

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

I'll try taking it over to my brothers and see what happens.

No new building nearby, and we are dead flat around here for km's.

I have the gen2 box, so if it keeps up, I'll give Optus a call, the only problem with getting a new one is that i will lose all my recordings, which won't make my kids too happy.

cheers

paul

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

So you're 'daisy chaining?' Aerial into Fetch, then out and into TV?

IMO you have two things happening.

1) The Fetch box is defective somehow - Call Optus and they'll send you out a new one as it is on lease.

2) More likely, you're near the digital cliff. Grab a powered booster. Conect the wall aerial into the booster/splitter. send one to the TV and one t o the Fetch. It should solve your issues (but no guarantee)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Crowd Champion SillyGogo
Crowd Champion

We used to get poor reception too, not able to get channel 7 or SBS even when it was analogue TV. Eventually, got of those Kingsgray Masthead amplifer, we are in Brisbane, signal bosted so much that we can pickup stations from the Gold Coast. You can get one of those plug in type from Jaycar etc, as advised from Peter, to see if that will give you enough boost the signal if not, and it is not the fetchtv itself then get the masthead amp. 

See if Optus will let you keep the Gen2 box, usually not. However, once you receive the Mighty then start to put in the Series tag of the shows that the kids like, keep the Gen2 box plug into the network. That will let the Mighty see all the recording from the Gen2. Usually, Optus won't ask for the Gen2 box back for a few months. By then hopefully you have build up enough new recording to keep the kids happy. 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Shauna
RetiredModerator

Sorry it's been a while, @paulx. Were you able to resolve the issues you've been facing with your Yes TV by Fetch? If not, could I please get you to fill out a fault report for your device. Once you've done this, someone from our TV & Content team will touch base with you shortly to further escalate your query. If you have any questions in the meanwhile, feel free to speak with us via Live Chat

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Contributor Xcelplus
Contributor

Hi,

I had a similar experience... lots of freezing, needed to reset the box regularly and other unexplained problems.

In the end Optus was nice enough to upgrade me to the newer V3 Fetch TV box (called the Mighty). 

This fixed the entire problem. The problem probably isn't you it's the box and the bandwidth.

The new box has more of everything... but what probably makes the biggest difference is that the memory buffer is about 3x bigger then the older box.

However it also supports wifi (wireless N). I find that running both the cable and the wifi usually results in no problems... whereas turning off the wifi results in the odd slow down. Wish the wifi was AC... but N is OK.

The new box also has 4 tuners rather than 3.

Presumably the processor is also a lot more powerful... because it doesn't slow down like the old box used to.

The remote on the new box works very well (the old one wasn't bad).

We made a long series of calls to Optus prior to getting the new box... and have made none since... so it must have been the box?

In the end Optus was most reasonable about this problem given that we hadn't owned the new box as long as the older v2 box.

No support calls! Yay!!! Only a great viewing experience! Yay!

Thanks Optus

🙂

PS. We have the 100 Mbps service... which really does provide up to 100 Mbps... but does bog down a bit during peak times.That's the only time there are ever any viewing problems. Although trying to record 3 channels (set series tags on) and watch a 4th is usually what causes the problems. Often you won't realise how many channels are being recorded as there is only one activity light and that will be on regardless whether you're recording one channel or 3. However I'm sure most people don't even realise that the activity light exists (it's blue and so are the others) and thus probably don't realise they have a recording going. Changing the recording light to a different colour would have been handy?

PPS. I wish the activity lights were different colours as it would make it easier to distinguish which one represents what. The other useful light to keep an eye on is the network light. If that's not on you've got a problem!

PPPS. I can see the files on the FetchTV on my computer... but they're encrypted so you can't watch the TV in your room... expect if you have one of the mini boxes. Surely this is a no-brainer? I rarely watch TV in my room... so I'm unlikely to ever bother getting a second box. There's already a computer in the room. Why not let us watch the programs on other computers? ...and visa versa... why not let us watch videos on other computers on the FetchTV box? The FetchTV box does handle a USB drive well... but can't seem to browse the content on other computers.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi, it appears to have gone away. I rarely watch tv anyway, it's mainly for the kids and wife, and she hasn't complained about the isues occuring. of course after i told her that if i contacted Optus and got a new box she would lose all the programs she had recorded she stopped complaining. I havent noticed it when i go into the lounge room. it's possible there could have been interference somewhere. I also reran all new hdmi ethernet and coax cables and stopped the daisy chaining one of the other posters suggested.

0 Kudos