Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Pixie-Jo
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Fetch TV daily restart

Thanks.  Well, my TV isn't a Sony.  And, it's a bit strange that for a year everything's been fine (using all the same TV, HDMI cable, etc... and now it starts playing up).

0 Kudos
jp928
Contributor
Contributor

Same with me -all fine for 6-9 months, then problem starts. I have seen at least 2 Fetch firmware updates since, but its still bad.   Keep pushing Optus , but the most they seem to be able to do is replace the unit. There doesnt seem to be a way to get actual Fetch people's attention.

jp

0 Kudos
redgumtv
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah! I agree, I've got three Fetch boxes, one's a mini. The other two are Mighty's.

Let's look at the Mighty's. One works fine and has for over twelve months, they're ethernet connected. This one is connected to a 55" Samsung (Smart) and has a soundbar (bluetooth). The second one is connected to a 40" Samsung (Smart) and has a soundbar (bluetooth)

The second Fetch, same age as the first one, has been problematic and goes to sleep after three hours and needs a boot to wake up. If you're recording at the time it will continue to do so but you can't watch anything on TV until it wakes up. Fetch told me to turn off sleep (instead of 3 hours) in the streaming section. Sucking popcorn would be more productive. I had the on/off function working through the Fetch remote and the audio on/off working through the TV. (1) I reset the Fetch remote to do both functions. This allowed me to lose the "sleep mode" by hitting any button on the Fetch remote. (2) My second Fetch runs through a powerboard that runs off a dual power point. Everything was attached to the powerboard. So I took the Fetch power plug out of the powerboard and plugged it into the vacant powerpoint by itself. Whamo, no more Fetch sleeping and the Fetch 2 works identical to Fetch 1.

My theory, which works after researching for weeks, tells me that Fetch boxes don't like sharing a power outlet with some other appliances like a TV set. All other appliances will work together but not Fetch. Sometimes another appliance from the same powerpoint will stop Fetch from doing a Soft or Hard reset, which doesn't work with this problem anyway.

Most Smart TV's have two or more HDMI plug holes. This can cause Fetch problems as well. Worth swapping them out to see if this fixes a problem.

Why did I follow up this problem? I've been testing Google Voice for Google and despite the claim from Fetch that Fetch is Google Voice compatible it's NOT. You can turn Fetch on and off with voice once you get rid of the above sleeping problem but you CANNOT channel change or volume change. This may be a Google problem but Fetch is certainly not Google Voice compatible yet.

This info may get you past the first hurdle (sleeping) and that's where most complaints are. Good luck.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
jp928
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, I will try some things from your experience.
jp
0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

"My theory, which works after researching for weeks, tells me that Fetch boxes don't like sharing a power outlet with some other appliances like a TV set"

An interesting theory. Electricity just comes down two wires and splits between devices. It's possible some protective switch is being triggered on the fetch. I would suspect a faulty device.

To test try
1. The fetch into a wall point by itself
2. A fetch on the power board itself
3. A fetch and one other device on the power board.
4. Keep adding devices until the issue reoccurs.
5. Then try only the device and the fetch (the issue might be the device or the combo of devices)

If a second device causes a surge or drop in power then that might be the issue. Thanks for sharing what you found though. A good place to start.
0 Kudos
redgumtv
Contributor
Contributor

Don't forget "powerline" devices or "surge" protectors share the humble powerpoint, power supply.

0 Kudos
redgumtv
Contributor
Contributor

Another thing to look at is your remote control(s). Do you use the Fetch remote to also control your TV or do you use two seperate controls (usually bluetooth)?

I used two remotes originally (Fetch & Samsung TV). I now use just the Fetch remote as the former setup doesn't work with Google Voice control. You can control this feature in Fetch.

What we need is for Fetch to sit down and write clear and concise SETUP instructions rather than the piecemeal bit by bit notes that rarely relate to each other. I've asked them to do that and they will need to if they want to claim Google Voice Control as a feature. It doesn't work at the moment.

0 Kudos