cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor johnjinsf
Occasional Contributor

Fetch TV Series Tag Problem

I've had Optus Fetch TV for 2 weeks and have found 2 problems with the Series Tag option, when I compare it to Foxtel Series Link.

Tonight there are 2 episodes of Big Bang Theory on Ch 9.

The 7.30 episode is a new episode from series 8 episode 23

The 8.00 episode is an old episode from series 7

When I set the Series Tag on the 7.30 episode Fetch TV also added the tag to the old episode at 8.00

Last week I Series Tagged Peaky Blinders on BBC First on Tuesday night.

After I watched the episode I deleted it on Wednesday afternoon. 

Later on tbat day the same episode was repeated on BBC First and Fetch TV recorded it.

Optus advised me that you have to leave the watched program on disk for a week so that it is not recorded again.

To me it seems it is a Program Tag more than a Series Tag when compared to Foxtel Series Link

0 Kudos
22 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor FetchTVSupport
Contributor

Re: Fetch TV Series Tag Problem

Hello

Fetch TV Support here, helping Optus out with this one.

Series Tag on Fetch TV records every episode of a series (a series is all available seasons of a show).  It is not a Season Tag that records only the most recent season.

The Series Tag will record every episode that airs unless it's already recorded and stored on the hard drive. If you have watched it and deleted it, and then it airs again at some stage it will be recorded again.

You can sort episodes by season so all recordings are placed in individual folders by season.  To set this up go to the recording, then press the blue short cuts button, then the green button to bring up sorting options.  Then select sort by season. 

You can then easily see the folder for the most recent season and can easily delete the entire folder for earlier seasons if you don't want to watch them.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Sue - Fetch TV

New Contributor keith_e_d
New Contributor

I've noticed something similar to what the OP has described in my first week with Fetch TV - unfortunately  the proviso that an episode, if already recorded, won't record again doesn't seem to hold true from my experience so far.

For instance, I've set NFL Live to record and used a series tag, and every repeat of the episode is also recording, so I'll have 2 or 3 copies of one episode 

The same has happened with the Bundesliga highlights show on BEIN sports, which has recorded two copies of the same show.

Is there a way to prevent this happening?

Thanks

Keith

0 Kudos
Contributor

Hey Keith

The Fetch TV box relies on the data the TV networks provide for each episode as it airs.  If there is a difference in the data between episodes and the box can't be sure whether it has already recorded it then it will record it again just to be sure.

We are constantly working with providers on data quality but unfortunately we do still see these issues. 

Cheers

Fetch TV Support

0 Kudos
New Contributor keith_e_d
New Contributor

I thought that might have been the case - but thanks for confirming, I'll record those shows individually. To be fair, it does work really well in other instances, like for stockpiling episodes of the simpsons and futurama : )

Occasional Contributor Kitzy
Occasional Contributor

Has there been an update to this? 

I'm an ex ICE TV user and they could differentiate between new episodes and repeats and also allow you to "Series Link" upcoming TV shows. I never had an issue with ICE TV but I can say Fetch in no way comes close.

It's very basic and doesn't seem to be recording shows properly at all, shows are missing, HDD space is wasted with repeats etc. Must be some updates that could make this work so much more efficiently and more user friendly. 

Occasional Contributor Kitzy
Occasional Contributor

Has there been an update to this? 

I'm an ex I CE TV user and they could differentiate between new episodes and repeats and also allow you to "Series Link" upcoming TV shows. I never had an issue with I CE TV but I can say Fetch in no way comes close.

It's very basic and doesn't seem to be recording shows properly at all, shows are missing, HDD space is wasted with repeats etc. Must be some updates that could make this work so much more efficiently and more user friendly. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Hi Kitzy

Thx for your feedback. 

If a recording is missing there is always a reason, and you can usually find out why by pressing the envelope symbol on your remote control to see the message relating to the failed recording.

Possible causes are:

- contention on the tuners ie you had more shows scheduled to record at the same time then there were available tuners

- a higher priority series tag will always take precedence over all other recordings. 

- a drop out in your internet connection will impact subscription channel recordings.  If the box loses connection for any reason it will try a few times to rejoin the stream, but if unable to do so the recording will fail

- loss of FTA reception will also stop a recording.

Not sure how you have your My Stuff set up - but you can sort all recordings by season and episode.  To do this go to Menu>My Stuff>recordings.  Select the show folder and press the green button on your remote, then select sort by season.

You can easily set a Series Tag to record every episode - a ways to do this:

- when watching press R twice

- from now and next bar press R twice

- from EPG press r twice.

You can also press enter on show name on EPG, or select the series tag in My Stuff> Recordings and select Modify Series Tag to indicate the number of episodes you want to keep.  e.g Select Most Recent only for things like the evening news.  2 or 5 for other shows.  All (managed) or All (protected) to keep them all.  If you select All Managed the box will automatically delete old watched recordings if it starts to run out of space.  If you select All managed the box will not delete the show until you tell it to.

You can change series tag priority at menu>my stuff>recordings>series tags.  Move your most important shows to the top of the lists so they always get recorded first.

The way our PVR compresses data means it can store up to 585 hrs of SD Tv on the 1TB hard drive - so running out of space isn't really an issue.  If the box does start to get full it will automatically start deleting old unprotected  recordings to free up space - starts with old watched recordings and will only move onto the oldest unwatched if it needs the space.

The issue with recording repeats is related to the quality of the EPG data we receive from our supplier.  If for any reason the data they provide for each timeslot where a repeat occirs is different to the data they previously supplied the box will not  be able to identify it as being the same show.  We are working with our data supplier constantly to address this issue and most channels are now pretty good.

Cheers

Sue

Fetch TV Support

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Esther
RetiredModerator

Thanks for your awesome work Sue 🙂

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Lisa77
New Contributor

does setting a series tag automatically record the program?  In the past when I have set a series tag this has been he case but lately when I set a series tag it hasn't been recording. 

0 Kudos