Searching...
Highlighted

Fetch TV Mighty Retail Audio Dolby Atmos - Bitstream

Mrz79p

Hi, the 2 current options for audio on the retail fetch mighty are stero and 5.1.

Can we get a seperate option for bitstream to enable the reciever (Home Theater System) to decode the sound and not the fetch box? "Home Theater System Decode - Bitstream"

I am testing using dolby atmos mkv files through fetch box usb and i have no outputed sound only video. I can play one of my mkv test files through and my sound bar shows dolby atmos, other test files play sound ok, but not dolby atmos.

So its a mixed bag, but think an option for audi of bitstream for audio, or ""Home Theater System Decode", the home theater will decode the sound output (bitstream) and process the audio", would solve this problem and enable better audio options for streamed content such as youtube, stan and netflix as well as usb files.

Re: Fetch TV Mighty Retail Audio Dolby Atmos - Bitstream

[ Edited ]
SillyGogo

@Mrz79p Nice suggestions, as you have discovered the Fetch box does out put the Dolby Atmos bitstream. I found the quality of both sound and image for playing back files is okay from the Fetch box. I get much better result from Nvida Shield, network media player, network bluray player eg Oppo205, xbox, play station. 

About the source:

Youtube: the best audio quality you will get is AAC, don't think it even output 5.1. So the fetch can easily supports that.

Netflix: selected shows are avaliable, however, only a selected devices are supported and able to output Dolby Atmos (https://help.netflix.com/en/node/64066) . So if this is your main source for content then get an Apple TV 4K/Xbox one S or a new suported tv and use the eARC from supported AVR. 

Stan: only output 5.1

USB/network files: As suggest above, best to use a media player or even a cheap Android box with Kodi. 

And ofcourse a nice home theater sound system to get the full protential of the dolby atmos sound track. There is a new DTS x PRO enhancement on the horizon(already available) with 32 channels of sound, something to look forward to. 

https://www.trinnov.com/2019/01/08/trinnov-dtsxpro/

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
Mrz79p

Hi, i am looking at new bluray player/media player which supports mkv files and bitstream, my current laser player bd2000 doesnt but the bd3000 does for $100, and i stumbled onto the fact the fetch box does allow dolby atmos by accident!

I am also looking at a new tv which will have eARC support to connect to my samsung 9 q90r soundbar.

It appears my second problem can be easily fixed by mkvmerge and adjust the default language track.

The file which did work was 5.1 dolby atmos so ill try using the 7.1 dolby atmos tracks and see if that works, if not ill grab a cheap media or update my bluray player. 

[ Edited ]
SillyGogo

Dolby Atmos is an extention to the Dolby Digital signal. So in theory if the box can output bitstream eg Dolby Digital then it can output Dolby Atmos. My guess it that how your sound bar process the digitial signal. That is why some files works and some wont. It could be the way the file in encoded in the first place. The soundbar's decoder could be limited to the standard format of encoding, where MKV files has many formats. 

In general the contents from Fetch, FTA, paid contents, netflix, youtube etcs are not in Dolby Atmos, so you won't be getting any from there. The USB would be able to output Atmos, however, depending on your soundbar's decoder, it might not recognise the signal. As the decoding is done at the soundbar not by the Fetch box. I found AVR decodes Atmos much better than the soundbars. These day most AVR $500 and above will support Atmos. 

If movie watching is your main thing then I would suggest you invest in a UHD player such as the Sony Ubp-x700 they are around the $250 during specials. If you are very serious then go for a high end models, they goes from $1000 up, eg Panasonic DP-UB9000. Prices will go down as newer models come to market. 

For your transport(player) the Fetch would play your MKV file okay, with limitations. For better flexibility then get a cheap Android box or the Nvida Shield. It happyly plays almost any file formats. 

Another things to consider is the HDCP 2.2 limitation/handshake issue with the Fetch box. It is widely discussed on the forum. The way around it is to get a HDCP decode which downgrade the HDCP to a lower level where the AVR or TV can accept. 

Once you got your source/transport sorted then time to invest in big a sound system. 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Mrz79p

The TrueHD Atmos codec test dolby files did not play audio through the Fetch Mighty, but the E-AC-3 audio did play to the soundbar and showed Dolby Atmos. The difference I noticied is that the E-AC-3 audio file (5.1.x Atmos) I had was 6 streams, while the TrueHD Atmos (7.1.x Atmos) was 8 streams, without knowning what the fetch might does to sound when it is set for 5.1 sound i could take a guess anything above 5.1 it wont process. Most MKV files i have have secondary audio files so after the TrueHD Atmos file (7.1.x) they then played the secondary non atmos file.

I am looking at the nvida shield, or a vero 4k+ for the media player.  Still undecided...

Then storage option of a NAS storage device or USB 3.0 storage drive to expand my current 2TB drives. Once agains still undecided...

For the sound I am happy with the soundbar (Samsung q90r Soundbar) I have currently as I live in an apartment. I would be surprised if the soundbar cant process the trueHD atmos file

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
52 Kudos
19 Kudos
18 Kudos
16 Kudos
13 Kudos