cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor roly14
Occasional Contributor

Fetch TV Mighty Connection

I received a new Fetch Mighty box today and had no trouble connecting the box to my TV or activating it.  Great picture to.  The only complaint I have about this new model box is there are no composite connections on the back to plug my DVD player into. 3 prong connections and RF I need to pick up the signal on the DVD.  If I use the new Fetch I cannot use my DVD player.  I lost the signal on it with no picture.   Very unhappy with it so I was forced to plug in my old Fetch box I got from Dodo.  Fortunately still able to pick up the internet on it.  At least this model has the right connections on the back for me to plug in my extra cables.   Bit disappointed with this setup.  Great looking box though.  Not sure what to do with it.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Fetch TV Mighty Connection

whatever you do, don't throw it away or sell it. You're only ever renting a fetch box from Optus, if you cancel or change plans to one that doesn't include it, you need to return it or risk a hefty non return fee. 

Probably best you put it somewhere safe if you won't be using it

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
RetiredModerator Toomey
RetiredModerator

Hey @roly14, just trying to get a better understanding of your set up. You should only need to use the composite cables for your DVD player so are you able to plug these directly into your TV?

Can you then run the RF into the Fetch box for free-to-air TV, and then connect Fetch to the TV via HDMI?

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the advice.    I wasn't planning on throwing it out or selling it.   I do have a spare tv I was thinking of connecting it to but I really don't have the space to set it up in my bedroom.   Not a big fan of tvs in the bedroom so at the moment it is still packed away in its box.    

Spoiler

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi Toomey,

Yes the composite cables are all connected correctly to the TV.   My biggest problem is the antenna.   This is why I need the RF output to connect it otherwise I lose the signal on the DVD Recorder.  I run the DVD recorder thru HDMI 2 and the Fetch into HDMI 1.   Its an  older model Panasonic but still works very well and I still use it regularly both to record and watch DVDs.   This is why I was unhappy with the new setup of the latest Fetch box.  I spoke to Optus on the weekend and they won't change it over.  I got a small refund on this months payment instead.   I have one lot of 3 prong cables running from the tv to the dvd and the second lot from dvd to fetch.  It seemed to be the only way I could get it to work correctly.

Hope this explains my problem a little easier.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Toomey
RetiredModerator

Thanks for explaining. So am I right in thinking that the main issue is that you want to record free-to-air channels on your DVD recorder? 

If this is the case, would recording free-to-air on the Yes TV by Fetch Mighty box work as a suitable alternative? It's got multiple tuners so you can record 6 shows at once.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi Toomey

Your partially right.   Yes I still record free to air on my recorder but I also have a fairly large collection of movies on disc that I still enjoy watching.   This is why it is important to me that the DVD is working okay.  I am also aware of the recording capabilities of Fetch and I get a much clearer picture and audio quality than with my DVD but I would just like them both to work in sync.  My DVD doesnt have access to Internet and is only a Standard Definition not High Def.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Toomey
RetiredModerator

You mentioned that the DVD player is plugged into the HDMI 2 slot on your TV, and the Fetch is plugged into HDMI 1. In this instance are you able to use Fetch as per normal, and change the channel on your TV to HDMI 2 when you want to watch a DVD?

In this scenario the only missing option is recording free-to-air on the DVD player, but as you can record them on Fetch instead, it may be the best alternate set up for you moving forward.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi Toomey,

I found your last comment a bit confusing.  No I am not able to watch my DVD on HDMI 2 when the New Fetch Box is plugged in.   As I explained earlier I lose the signal without an Antenna  connection if my antenna is plugged into Fetch.   I did do some checking with other channels and found that AV2 screened my DVD channel also.

0 Kudos