cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor CanuckInOzz
Occasional Contributor

Fetch TV Gen 2 DLNA Issues

I have just received my Gen2 Fetch TV box from Optus. Was hoping that the DLNA content player would be better than the Gen1 box. I am still having problems with the playback of MKV files. It will pause for about 1 second every 2 – 3 minutes. It usually looses a bit of the sound playback when it resumes, so it is very annoying. I am playing this content from my NAS. The content streams fine to other devices.

Also, the subtitles are encoded in SUB/IDX files, but are not available on the Fetch TV box. Once again, they play fine on other devices.

The STB is connected to the network with a cable (wireless is not the issue here).

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
RetiredModerator Nghi
RetiredModerator

Re: Fetch TV Gen 2 DLNA Issues

Hi CanuckInOzz, I'm passing along feedback to our Fetch TV product manager in regards to DLNA performance. We don't generally provide support for the advanced features on the Fetch TV box however you can read up a set up guide from Fetch TV in the link below. It also has information about supported formats.

My Media Hub Setup Guide

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi Nghi,

Have you heard anything back from the Fetch TV techs?  I haven't.  It would be nice to be able to watch a movie without constant pauses and breaks.

Please let me know what you find out or if there is someone I can contact directly.

Regards,

Greg.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Nghi
RetiredModerator

I did pass along feedback to our Fetch TV product manager with your concern. At the moment there is no information on if/when it will be addressed, sorry 😞 We do work closely with Fetch TV and new firmware is released from time to time. However we can't provide any updates on when new firmware will become available or which features are being worked on.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

So what you're telling me is that this glitch will continue indefinitely and that no one from the Fetch TV camp is willing to address the problem.  They will simply hide behind the age-old platitude that "It may be addressed in a future firmware update".  This means they have not investigated, diagnosed or scheduled a fix for the problem.

For what you would consider to be a "high-end" PVR/STB, this lingering problem (it has been around since the Gen 1 boxes), is unacceptable.  I am surprised that Optus is not putting any pressure on the appropriate people to get the DLNA client working properly with what I would consider to be a very common media format (MKV).  Perhaps you can escalate this issue to someone who really wants to resolve the problem and not provide non-solutions in the hope that your client (me) will go away and forget about the issue.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Dan_DS
RetiredModerator

That's not what we're telling you at all @CanuckInOzz, there have been discussions around MKV compatibility, but as yet the firmware does not include full MKV support. The service you are subscribed to is for Fetch online streaming channels, movie rentals and Free To Air channels with a recording feature; not file compatibility with every codec available. We pass all feedback on to Fetch as they are the developer/manufacturer for the STB, but we can not control when they add file format compatibility. Your feedback has been passed to the right team, but we aren't going to lie to you either, so we are honestly saying that we don't have any idea of when the feature will become available, and we don't want to mislead you by making up dates. We try to help where we can, but please bear in mind the MKV playback is a bonus feature and not a guaranteed service feature

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi Dan_DS,

I have to disagree that MKV playback is a "bonus feature".  It is a documented feature of the STB and it should function properly.  This is a BUG and should be in the next round of updates that a firmware update provides.

The Media Hub function was one of the main reasons that I have upgraded to the GEN2 box.  It is very disappointing that a documented feature is not functioning as described.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi Dan,

Here is an update on the Choppy playback of MKV files on the Fetch Gen 2 STB.

It turns out that this box does not support MKV files that are encoded with ACC audio.  Most of my files are encoded this way.  I have created some new files using MP3 audio and it works fine.  So now I would like to make a specific request of the Fetch Team - Please add support for this VERY COMMON audio format.  That would solve the choppy playback problem.

Also, still hoping that subtitle support for SUB and IDX files will be added as well.  These two features would make this a very useful little box.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Pete
RetiredModerator

Thanks for the update, we'll definitely pass on your feedback. 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Contributor Repofmancunia1
Contributor

Dear Dan - was this issue ever resolved? I have choppy playback from MKV files - I have no idea about the audio format.

0 Kudos