cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Fetch TV: Distorted FTA channels

Hi,

I am having issues with FTA channels on my Fetch Mighty. When I connect the antenna directly into the TV, I can see all channels properly. However, when I connect the antenna to the Fetch TV box I am unable to receive any channel properly. Everything is distorted. Online content (sport, catch up tv etc.) is fine.

Please help.

Regards,

Michael

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Fetch TV: Distorted FTA channels

The issue is either a video setting on the fetch or the tv.

Sit down and turn on the distorted image. Then you have two remotes (fetch or tv) go into the menu for each in turn. Video settings. Aspect Ratio. You want widescreen or 16:9. Experiment.

That's asuming you have a widescreen TV and not one from 2004?

Regards

Peter Gillespie 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hey @Michael-R, may be a silly question but have you tuned the free-to-air channels on your Fetch box → http://www.optus.com.au/shop/support/answer/fetch-tuning-adding-tv-channels-packs?requestType=Normal...? Beyond that, I'd raise this with our TV & Content team directly so that we can investigate this one further for you.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your help. Unfortunately, I have tried all this already. I have changed settings on both, the TV and Fetch box, changed HDMI cable and port on the TV, changed the antenna cable and so on.

I will contact support when I have some more time.

At this stage, I have the feeling it may be a signal issue. I have read somewhere that the Fetch box splits the signal internally. It is just so weird as the twin tuner inside my TV has no issues with it.

@Tano Yes, I have used the channel scan (26 channels in total), however, I do not have a tuning option.

Regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Try taking the Fetch box to a friends house and scanning FTA channels there. 

See if the issue persists.

Also a bit of a long shot but try a different HDMI cable (and different HDMI input slot if your TV has them)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi @Tano

I called Optus technical support for Fetch TV and was told they cannot support this.

They believe the signal is too weak when plugged into the Fetch box and that's it.

Not much help unfortunately.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Have you tried taking the box to a friends house? 

It might simply be the box is faulty but you can rule this out if you can get a signal and find channels elsewhere.

The nature of digital TV is that at a certin fairly specific point you go from 100% image to 0% image. As your TV is fine then its likely you are close to this point (just on the wrong side) for the Fetch. A powered booster would seem likely to work. I believe you can also get them at Bunnings (return for refund if needs be)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Peter,

I actually bought an idoor antenna amplifier at Bunnings yesterday.

I have just tried it and I am seeing much better results. VHF channels seem fine now but I am still having issues finding all of  the TEN and ABC channels.

I am slowly getting there.

Thanks for all your help.

Regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Sounds encouraging.

The other area you might want to visit is getting a new roof antenna. Might help with the recalcitrant channels.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos