Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor DeesOnSkis
Occasional Contributor

Fetch TV Box Critical Hardware Fault

Hello

After rebooting my Fetch TV box, the system attempts to update to 2.17 Cascade. After loading the update, the system fails with the message - "Critical Hardware Fault. HDD Self Check Unavailable". I attempted a hard reset with the same outcome. Any advice?

This happened last October 2017 with the software update that came out then as well but at that time it was fixed somehow.

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Fetch TV Box Critical Hardware Fault

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion. However, its not an HDMI issue (it wasn't last time either) and the error message is not reflected in the FAQs.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Moderator Wesley-J

Hey @DeesOnSkis - apologies for any inconvenience caused by the error. I'd suggest speaking to our LiveChat consultants here for further investigation into your issue.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Well thanks and I tried that today once Livechat was up and running again. Livechat support don't have the knowledge to deal with this query so they attempted to connect me with a phone-based support team who did not pick up the call. I have a Fetch box that has not worked for two weeks now! Maybe I just need a new one to be sent out.

0 Kudos
Moderator Aman_B

Hi @DeesOnSkis - Disappointing to hear about your experience there 😞 Not at all what we want your experience to be like.  Are you able to PM us Here your full name, Optus number & date of birth so we can take a look into this?

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Moderator Aman_B

Thanks  for the details Adam. I've checked your account and can see the team tried to contact you with the Yes TV by Fetch team.  Could you please confirm if you have since tried calling the team on this 133937?  The team has to basically do some basic trouble shooting and if the issue is not resolved then they can order a new device under warranty. Please let me know if you still need a hand after you have called them. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

I have been trying to get through to someone at this team for two days now. Like I said, there is no answer.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Tried calling at 3 separate times today also. No answer.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Assume this has been fixed for you by now - just noting that my first gen Fetch box died last night, apparently during a software update. It was coming up with the dreaded "Critical Hardware Fault" message. I tried turning off/on again - same error. Would seem to be starting then freeze. I tried the 'soft' reset (wipes config but keeps recordings - done by turning box off and leaving it off for 30 seconds or more, turning on power and pressing the coloured buttons in red-green-yellow-blue sequence until the box reboots). A little better in that when it started it started to download and install "2.19 Endeavour River"..... and then it rebooted and came up with the same Critical error. Then tried a 'hard' reset (wipes everything - sigh - done by turning box off and leaving it off for 30 seconds or more, turning on power and pressing the coloured buttons in reverse ie blue-yellow-green-red sequence until the box reboots). Looked really promising - restarted, prompted for activation code, then scanned for tv channels, then went through final checks of tv signal quality, internet quality, and..... screen went off. Rebooted. Then came up with the "Critical Hardware Fault". Sigh.

Called 133937 and went through the labyrinth of options eventually getting to the point where it asked if I wanted to chat with someone immediately - sure thought I - and I was sent a link to fire off an online chat session. Didn't work on my mobile (android - just had a blank screen) nor on my laptop when I manually copied it over. Fortunately I didn't hang up so after some time I had to answer some more automated questions and I was put onto a queue to actually talk to a human. A few minutes later they answered. Went through the standard verification process, I explained the symptoms and what I had done to try to rectify. They said yes, the box is definitely dead and needs to be replaced. I'm off contract now (waiting for NBN to become available here in the next few months), but that wasn't an issue. They no longer make my model so gave me the option of replacing the existing box with a refurbished version of the same model, or I could get a current "Gen 3" version that now supports WiFi (which I wouldn't use anyhow). They did note that some customers have had issues with getting FTA TV signals through the Gen3 - I suspect that would be if they have a poor signal (ours is very strong) so I said sure, the new one would be fine.

End result - replacement box should arrive in next 3 business days. Will come with prepaid satchel to put old box in "to avoid any charges", so I just need to drop that off at Australia Post sometime.

Annoying that it happened, but it's a pretty old box (well over 3 years) so expect the hard drive simply failed. The service I got from Optus was fine, and (when I eventually managed to speak to someone) the issue was handled quickly and without fuss. Although it means I've lost some recordings, on the bright side some of those recordings had been setup by my kids so included +300 Spongebob episodes as well as far too many Kardashian episodes (frankly one is too many).