Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Ray_YC
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Fetch Software update 2.24 Japoon

Hi mkioppl,

It was what a couple of customers advised on the Heathcote update thread I mentioned. I'm not aware of the details.

lo2, have you tried unplugging it for approx. half an hour which worked for some users for Heathcote?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
bellamy139
New Contributor
New Contributor

Also having problems updating. Have been stuck updating for 4 days. Have tried hard resetting and unplugging and get the same problem every time.

0 Kudos
Ray_YC
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Not great to hear, Bellamy139.

We can only offer general troubleshooting tips here, if you've tried everything the next step would be to contact Optus.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
tp42
New Contributor
New Contributor

System stalled - no activity for hours. Can someone please explain why so many users are having issues. Its not internet access related - speed is 30Mb/s

0 Kudos
Ray_YC
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi TP42,

Just clarifying are you having issues with the software update stalling as per the subject of this thread?

Or having a problem with your Fetch in general?

If it's the latter, what troubleshooting have you done? e.g. restarting the box, unplugging the box, soft reset, etc.

The more info that you can provide would help us 🙂 

0 Kudos
Rojacs
New Contributor
New Contributor

Just restarted after watching iview and then software update then stated at bottom of screen HDD failed to load critical hardware failure contact fetch tv provider FANTASTIC!!! THINK I NEED A NEW BOX AND IN A HIRRY TOO

0 Kudos
Ray_YC
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

What a pain, Rojacs! 😫 

Definitely get in touch with Optus and the team will arrange a replacement.

0 Kudos
RobP55
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

So many people having issues with this upgrade of Japoon. Clearly the Fetch TV company are not listening because today I had the same issue when my Gen 2 box tried to upgrade to 2.24 Japoon. On restart, the HDD critical failure message came up and the box refused to go any further. While this is not an Optus issue, surely Optus needs to put some pressure on the Fetch TV company to fix the issue because Optus is copping all the flack for something it didn't design. Unless you bought your Fetch TV at a retailer, Fetch won't talk to you. They just fob you off back to the provider. By the way, the common fix for the above problem is to pull the plug on your box and leave the power off for at least an hour. Then it should restart normally. Why this works, I don't know, but as long as your HDD is not really failed, it seems to work consistantly.

0 Kudos
RobP55
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Yesterday, I had to do the power off and then restart again in the morning after the box again tried to update to 2.24 Japoon. Thing is, I had already confirmed via device info that my box already had 2.24 Japoon. Box worked during the day then last night again went into software update mode to load 2.24 Japoon. The box then got that critical HDD message again. Too late so left the box powered off overnight. This morning started it up and the box again tried to update 2.24 Japoon. Again got the critical HDD message. Then a bright spark thought. I powered off for an hour AND pulled the interent connection out. Theory is to stop the software update but get the box going to watch TV and to watch all my stored recordings. It worked. Box started normally and the HDD is indeed working okay, and I can see TV and play my recordings. What I don't yet know is if my series tags will work or do they require the internet connection? Of course the Netflix app and catch up won't work either. If only Optus would read this and help with the software solution.
0 Kudos
RobP55
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Well, I gave up on Fetch TV and contacted Optus support. The short answer of the HDD problems is that the Gen 2 box is not compatible with the new 2.24 Japoon software. What a pain! I'm annoyed because Fetch built my Gen 2 box in June 2019, and then at the end of July they made a software upgrade that doesn't work on the Gen 2 box. Absurd indeed. It definitely violates consumer law, however, by offering to replace my Gen 2 with the Mighty, it fulfils the requirements of consumer law with regard to faulty products. To watch the remainder of my recordings on my Gen2, I'm starting the box with the internet connected, then disconnecting the internet and using the box as a PVR until my new Mighty arrives. Good luck for all you Gen 2 owners and the far superior remote control. I dislike the Mighty remote control.