Searching...
Accepted Solution

Fetch My Media Hub Error

Optus

From Monday 19 November 2018 Fetch began rolling out it’s new software across Fetch boxes from Optus.

Unfortunately, a technical limitation within this release has caused an issue with the My Media Hub feature on Fetch. This issue affects files streamed via a streaming server (such as Twonky, Serviio or via a PC/Mac) where the file will not play. 

We understand this is not ideal however you can still browse and play media content from a portable USB device, such as an External Hard Drive or USB stick connected to a USB port on your Fetch box. See the ‘My Media Hub Guide – USB’ at fetch.com.au/guides for more info.

Fetch apologises for any inconvenience caused and has advised that this issue is due to be fixed in the next Fetch software update in early 2019.

Optus & Fetch logo.png

Re: Fetch My Media Hub Error

petergdownload

That is one major stuff up. No one tested this at all before rolling out the update?

So anyone looking forward to watching their own content over Christmas must look elsewhere?

I realise Optus has less control Fetch Updates but surely in this situation you roll back to the last working version?

Its nice to know a fix is in the works but 2-4 months away seems excessively laxidasical? Can you imagine the response to an Optus update breaking uTube on their mobiles and just announcing they'll get it sorted next year some time? Smiley Surprised

Peter Gillespie

PACETRAV

Yes, why not roll back to the previous fully functional release?

stihl88

How is a technical limitaton? Technical stuff up more like it!

This software update has RUINED the ability to stream media over the network from another device! I know you have a fix in place early 2019 but something needs to be done sooner. Fetch box has average media compatability than streaming via Plex server etc so your work around of playing the media over USB or HDD is more of a bandaid fix than a work around. Please release a fix now, not in 2019.

NotHappyToday

This is not a satisfactory answer

Optus or Fetch Tv has broken the product

We are no longer getting the service we were promised when we purchased the product

Can somebody tell me if this is a breach of the Trade Practices Act in Victoria

If so is there a Lawyer on the forum that would like to start a class action to get this resolved

ozsurfer

I have spent 2 days trying to figure out the issue with playing content from my media server. After plenty of googling finally came across the quick start guide for the media hub which has been updated to reflect the fact that the latest software update has broken streaming content. I cannot believe that this has been allowed to happen. Its a core functionality of the box. Who tested this update? if at all... very poor. There should be a software patch for this ASAFP. 2019..?  is that a joke? what sort of service is this?

petergdownload

The Fetch agreement comes with permission to add or remove functionality as Optus requires. For example if FetchTV removed a BBC channel then Optus wouldn't have to give everyone a refund. In this case Optus has broken the functionality itself but the non responsibility clause would probably still apply.

Peter Gillespie

PACETRAV

I believe that Consumer Law still applies regardless of  what the seller 
puts in (or leaves out of) of their agreement or warranty with the consumer.

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

That's correct @PACETRAV however upfront acknowledgements are exempt. So if you buy a pair of jeans online that the seller says has some fading you can't then return them because they are faded. Optus is upfront on the limitations of the device (reasonably so IMO because aspects of its functionality are beyond its direct control)

Ultimately Consumer law is deliberately vague. It acknowledges that there are an infinite number of permutations. Could someone argue that Optus breaking one part of the device for a few months breaches the guarantees? Possibly. But even if Optus agreed you would at most be entitled to cancel your plan, return the box and go elsewhere. If Optus disagrees then you can take the hours, write the submissions, hire lawyers, fight it in the tribunal after which a far from certain win would enable you to cancel your plan, return the box and go elsewhere. 

IMO this is a pretty big stuff up by Optus (they can say FetchTV handled the firmware, but Optus agreed it would be installed). IMO (and for many Fetch users) the response to this stuff up is pretty underwhelming. Something to base future financial decisions on perhaps.

Peter Gillespie

ozsurfer

I think perhaps that talk of the law etc is beyond what most want, and that is, a working fetch box.

It's just so disappointing that a software upgrade has so severely downgraded its functionality.  It's a real PITA now to play my own content from my NAS.  

Would love to hear from someone at Optus as to their thoughts.

We simply want this fixed as soon as possible. 2, 3 or even 4 months wait is not good enough.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
75 Kudos
71 Kudos
23 Kudos
19 Kudos
17 Kudos