Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Fetch Mighty have DLNA server capability?

I read in a third party review that the Mighty box has DLNA server capabilities. However, my DLNA clients can't see a recording sitting on the Mighty. What's the situation with this?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Re: Fetch Mighty have DLNA server capability?

Hi sddawson 🙂 You'll find heaps of information about this topic here

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

I had come across that thread, but it's very old. I take it, then, that nothing's changed? I had high hopes when I read the review at http://www.smh.com.au/technology/gadgets-on-the-go/hands-on-review-fetch-tv-mini-and-mighty-20160710..., done in July this year. Amongst other things, it says:

"The Mighty acts as a DLNA server, but you can't access it as a SMB share (to the disappointment of Plex fans). Meanwhile you can use the My Media Hub menu on the Mighty or Mini to view DLNA servers on your home network, but not SMB shares.

In a nutshell this means you can tap into the Mighty's recordings from the Mini – so you can curl up in bed and use the television in the bedroom to watch something you recorded in the lounge room. That's a major selling point if you're trying to get your loved ones excited about the Fetch TV.

While DLNA access works well, by Christmas Fetch TV will enable true Multi-Room features to offer much tighter integration between the Mini and Mighty. You'll be able to call up the Mighty's recording list on the Mini as if they were stored on the Mini. Press record on the Mini's remote control and it will tell the Mighty to record whatever you're watching."

Where would they have got this impression/information?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi sddawson,

Sorry about the late reply there. I can confirm that it is a feature of the box, but we're unable to provide any specific support on how to set up your home server to work. However, please refer to the guide available here →  http://www.fetchtv.com.au/pdf/Fetch_TV_Media_Hub_Quick_Start_Guide_-_Media_Servers.pdf for more information. Hope that helps 🙂

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

I'm afraid that only explains how Fetch can be a CLIENT on a DLNA system, that is, how it can play media stored on other devices. What we need is to be able to play recordings that are stored on the Fetch on another device, which is the other way around. Fetch in this case is the server not the client. Fetch does show up in other DLNA clients, but as others have reported there are always 0 recordings available. However, the review I posted clearly states that recordings on Fetch can be played elsewhere. Did that reviewer have some special version or something? Being able to play recordings on other devices, or even on a Fetch TV Mini elsewhere in the house, is a very desirable feature.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi sddawson,

What I will do is investigate this further - generally speaking, the set top boxes have custom Optus firmware on them. Not all features will match the retail Fetch boxes. I'll touch base with you once I have an update. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi sddawson,

I've received confirmation from our case managers in regards to this. Whilst you won't be able to save or watch content from your computer via the Fetch TV box, you can use My Media Hub to watch video, picture and music files from your computer and other devices on your TV. You can use a USB drive plugged into the Fetch TV box, or you can connect wirelessly over your home network. Fetch TV does not enable you to save material from your Fetch TV set top box to your computer or external hard drive. I hope that answers your question - let me know 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I don't want to be able to save recordings made on the Fetch, I just want to be able to watch (stream) them on another device, even a Fetch TV Mini. Can you confirm that even that's not possible?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Oh, and I also find that the Fetch TV iOS app doesn't see any recordings sitting on the Fetch box either...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

In reference to the article quoted, further down it talks specificallly about this missing feature under the heading 'Optus customers no longer left in the cold'

The article states: "Thankfully Fetch TV is updating its smartphone apps in the next few months to remove this restriction on the Mighty and well as existing second-gen Fetch TV boxes, so Optus customers will be treated as equals. There are still some limitations for all Fetch TV users, related more to rights restrictions than technical issues."

0 Kudos
Top Contributors